Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Can't browse databases in SSMS 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 10:09 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:51 AM
Walked in this morning and was able to log into our cluster just fine but when I try to expand the Databases node in the Object Explorer, I get this:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'syspolicy_configuration', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.
The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'syspolicy_system_health_state', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 229)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.2841&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=229&LinkId=20476

I'm told that I'm set up as dbo on msdb.

I can query the data in the databases just fine. Just can't browse the objects (which is a huge productivity issue).

When connecting to other databases, I can browse them just fine.

This was working fine on Friday.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Post #1181135
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 10:30 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 8:39 AM
I suspect someone's probably started playing around with DENY permissions (either for your user/group/role or are trying to lock down the public role incorrectly).

If your user/role definitely has permissions, then I'd look into which other groups you fall into (usually just public unless something like the EVERYONE group has been added) and whether these have any explicit DENY permissions against the schema or the objects.

I'd be pretty sure it's because something has been changed, rather than hitting any kind of bug, so go and bother your DBA's
Post #1181161
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 10:31 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:23 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "set up as dbo on msdb" as there are specific permissions associated with the user that need to be adjusted. My guess is that between Friday and today, somebody changed the role you were assigned to from the Server Roles. Have your DBA double-check your server roles and specific database mapping.

Thanks,

Jared

Thanks,

Jared
SQL Know-It-All

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
Post #1181164
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 11:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:51 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not dbo on msdb -- was mistaken.

Granting me explicit select rights on msdb fixed the problem. but that's not really an acceptable long term solution.

The server admin tried adding his domain account to the database as a normal user and experienced the same problem. Which is very unusual. This would certainly point to something about the public role being messed up I think.
Post #1181195
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 11:23 AM

SSCrazy

What exactly is a "normal user?" Can you please provide exact permissions for the user he tried to set up? Don't forget there is a public server role and a public database role.

Thanks,

Jared

Thanks,

Jared
SQL Know-It-All

Post #1181199
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 12:59 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, June 11, 2012 1:42 PM
I am the server administrator (far from a DBA)

I can recreate this issue by creating a new user. New users by default have the "public" role. They should be able to browse any Databases that they have permission to. Just trying to understand what might have changed that would be denying this access for any and all new users that are created as well as an existing user.

When I look at the 2 views in question
The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'syspolicy_configuration', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.
The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'syspolicy_system_health_state', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 229)

I see that the only permissions that are applied are the 'PolicyAdministratorRole' and it is granted select permission. Can someone verify that this is the default?

Also, can I query for Deny permissions on the database, and see if any got applied by someone else?
Post #1181272
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 1:03 PM

SSCrazy

Open the Security -> Server Roles folder and double-click on public. The default is "Grant" for "Connect" on all securables. That is it (1 box checked for each securable). Check that first. Also, what is the default database for a new user? Master?

Thanks,

Jared

Thanks,

Jared
SQL Know-It-All

Post #1181274
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 1:07 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, June 11, 2012 1:42 PM
Yes, that is correct. Grant is selected for all securables. Master is the default. I have tried changing the users default database to a database they have dbo over, and I get the same results.
Post #1181276
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 1:11 PM

SSCrazy

Try this link to see if it helps you:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/datacenter/reviewing-sql-server-permissions/466

Thanks,

Jared

Thanks,

Jared
SQL Know-It-All

Post #1181280
Posted Monday, September 26, 2011 1:20 PM

SSCrazy

Also take a look at this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1709150/permission-required-to-view-list-of-tables-in-management-studio

The main point of this article is that DENY will always override a GRANT...

Thanks,

Jared

Thanks,

Jared
SQL Know-It-All

Post #1181283
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse