Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Where Do You Park? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:36 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:34 AM
I work at a hospital with approx. 4000 employees. Given shift patterns etc, it's difficult to get the same spot every day. However, I do have my favourite areas of the car park(s) to aim for. I usually get them, but sometimes I don't and then I have a grumble to myself!

I like to park as near as possible to the entrance to my building just in case it's raining or snowing. Due to inconsiderate parkers, I also have to be careful to remember to park in such a way that getting out will not be a problem. Made a mistake once and spent 5 minutes extricating myself from a spot because of some idiot's parking!

Certain people probably have favourite spaces, but mostly it's favourite areas as I mentioned.

Anybody with a "nice" car that parks inconsiderately (e.g. taking up two spaces so no-one parks next to them and potentially scratches their car) should be culled and removed from the gene pool. Either that or we should all park right next to them so they can't get in their car.
Post #1168576
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:57 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:12 AM
I've had a mix of driving to work (about 25 years) and not driving to work (about 18 years) - not the proportion I would have liked, as driving to work was a pain (because in the UK most drivers are discourteous road-hogging idiots; it's much better in some other places, but I refused to even consider driving in India).

When driving to work, I've sometimes been assigned to a privileged parking area, but not to a particular space, at other times had an assigned space (but we ignored the space assignments mostly), at other times stuck with park where you can.

Usually I tried to park under cover (shade in summer, keep the sleet off in winter) and somewhere which would neither flood nor get deep enough snow to be a problem (that was absolutely critical when I worked at UEA - that winter was awful; I guess that's what you get for working in that part of the country). That leads to me having a favorite space. But I didn't worry if someone snagged my favorite space - it was nothing important.

Tom
Post #1168580
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:58 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 3, 2012 9:10 AM
Anybody with a "nice" car that parks inconsiderately (e.g. taking up two spaces so no-one parks next to them and potentially scratches their car) should be culled and removed from the gene pool. Either that or we should all park right next to them so they can't get in their car.

High five sir....

My spot is most always the same (out of a couple spots), due to time of arrival. Also I tend to favor that area because it is right up against the fenced in area where people take their dogs to run around and play - and it's awesome just seeing cute goofy dogs running around first thing in the morning (or anytime of day), especially when they run over and just stare at you the second you pull up. Oh, I work at an animal hospital, that probably explains a few things.
Post #1168581
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:26 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:25 PM
As with taking a seat in a room full of people, I tend to take the same parking spot at work each morning. Yes, I do get miffed when someone has taken "my" spot. I know I don't own the spot. Perhaps it's a primal territory thing - or just a sense of not having your ?"space" respected.

My latest pet peeve: the marked reserved spots in the parking lot. I don't mind that. But, i do mind the fact that they labeled them "reserve space" instead of "reserved space".

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Post #1168590
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:27 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
I am a consultant and I usualy park as far from the door as possible. Even though I am older than many of the employees I do this because I know I am capable of walking the further distance. I know there are some employees older and younger who can not. The spot is shaded, which is nice in the summer. There is a "furthest" spot that an employee and I "fight" over, we are both early arrivers, but she is earlier often. I don't grumble when she has it, but I do a little dance and sing when I get it. An additional benefit I have noticed is that, as a consultant, employees tend to be negatively predisposed against you. They notice when you park "out" and it gives you an opening to explain why, and that usually turns out positively. Conversely I suppose, if I always took the prime spot, they would grumble about "damn consultants" but never talk to me.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #1168591
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:37 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:43 AM
My favored spot is the first space to the right of two handicap spaces. This gives me a straight line up the walkway to the office doors. I've thought about why I picked this one. First, I arrive at the office near 6:30 a.m. and the lot is empty when I arrive. Second, I am not always the straightest parking patron. Having that extra space to the left of me when I pull it makes entry and exiting ideal. We do not have anyone who regularly uses the handicap spaces leaving them empty most of the time. So when it is rainy or snowy I can run directly to the car and swing open the door in haste without the worry of hitting the next vehicle. It is odd that if I go out at lunch and that space is taken by another employee in my absence it throughs me off. Almost like there is a shift in the universe. Then I think, wow now I have to take maybe 4 extra steps back to the office. My how cynical we have all become - like we own that spot.
Post #1168593
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:46 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:05 AM
I always try to park in a space and fashion that allows me a quick escape route if necessary. Right now, I take the spot that is right near the exit of the parking lot, and I back into the space (actually, I get in early enough that I just pull through, but same difference). The backing into a parking space is an ingrained habit, but it does make pulling out easier.
Post #1168598
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 12, 2014 8:37 AM
This thread just confirms my deep suspicion that all data people are crazy. I park my bum on the chair in my home office these days, but used to drive a yellow 1974 VW Beetle called Buttercup. At one client I always parked her in my favourite spot (on the roof of the parking garage, where she could have a nice view, and I couldn't forget which floor I'd parked on), and it got me into trouble:

One Friday evening I left the building just before 6, it was raining a bit, and just as I got to Buttercup my cellphone rang – it was a friend and colleague called Helen calling with a query about something at another client, where I had also done some work. As best as I can remember, it went something like this:

Helen: Hi, etc

Me: how are you, etc,

i.e. pleasantries exchanged

Helen: Are you still at work by any chance?

Me: No, I’m on the roof but I can talk – but let me get into the car because it’s raining and I’m getting wet.

Deathly hush.

Then:
Helen (tentatively): What are you doing on the roof?

Me (puzzled): I’m getting into the car.

Helen (very tentatively): The car? Which car?

Me (more puzzled): Buttercup, of course!

Helen (with great caution - I think she was trying to keep me calm): Buttercup is on the roof? Are you sort of planning to, like, ….float down?

Me (with equally great caution - I was trying to keep her calm): Well, I suppose I could but I usually go down the ramp.

Helen (extremely tentatively): The ramp?....

Me: (even more puzzled): Yes, at the parking garage.

Helen: starts shrieking with uncontrollable laughter. Clearly a psychotic break.

Me: What? What?

Helen (with great difficulty, still gurgling): You mean that roof!!!

Then the penny dropped on both sides and it took us about 15 minutes of howling, shrieking and rib-clutching to recover.

Do the people with the white coats offer bulk discounts, by any chance…..?

Post #1168599
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:51 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:11 PM
there was a mornings worth of controversy on a local radio station in south florida this week on this subject...someone who had been working for a business for 14 years has always parked in the same parking spot for a loooong time, but the parking does not have assigned spaces.

A new girl join the company, and, by virtue of getting there first, took that same spot.

the longer termed employee was offended, told the other girl "that's my spot",and the younger girl commented that it's not assigned parking, first come first served.
Not the Long termer is annoyed that she's now in a "get there earlier" competition to try and get that spot...
she called the radio station to seek advice as to wether she should got to Human Resources and complain.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1168602
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:53 PM
In that past I would park out in front like everyone else at the small company I work for. After my car was hit for the second time, I have taken to parking across the street, next to the cornfield, where we park our semi trailers. It is approximatedly 100 yards farther away than any of the other spots, but I feel safer...
Post #1168605
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse