Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

The OVER Clause enhancements in SQL Server code named “Denali”, CTP3 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 7:46 AM
Jeff Moden (8/25/2011)
Great article, Wayne, although I'm a bit surprised you didn't publish the million row performance findings (like you did on your blog) which shows just how big a performance and "reads" problem you can run into with this new functionality.

Still, the new functionality will beat a cursor.

Thanks Jeff,

The editor already had me remove some significant sections to keep it simple for the join-challenged amongst us... wanted to keep this article about just the enhancements to the over clause, and not really go beyond that.

Plus, it gave me a way to promote the blog when the running totals came up in the discussion thread.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1165760
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:11 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:29 AM
Wayne - Any chance those edited sections will appear in a future article?
Post #1165770
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:40 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Kenneth Wymore (8/25/2011)
Wayne - Any chance those edited sections will appear in a future article?

Always a chance, and it would give me an opportunity to expand upon it also.

Wayne
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1165777
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:41 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:08 AM
WayneS (8/25/2011)
Jeff Moden (8/25/2011)
Great article, Wayne, although I'm a bit surprised you didn't publish the million row performance findings (like you did on your blog) which shows just how big a performance and "reads" problem you can run into with this new functionality.

Still, the new functionality will beat a cursor.

Thanks Jeff,

The editor already had me remove some significant sections to keep it simple for the join-challenged amongst us... wanted to keep this article about just the enhancements to the over clause, and not really go beyond that.

Plus, it gave me a way to promote the blog when the running totals came up in the discussion thread.

BWAA-HAAA!!! Editors... what do they know? (Hi Steve!)

Understood on all fronts. Thanks for the feedback, Wayne. And, I'll say it again, well done on the article and the blog both!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1165778
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:01 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:14 PM
Wayne, can you please email me a link to your blog with the perf testing of the Denali OVER enhancements? I did a web search but couldn't find it. TIA!

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1165785
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:33 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Saturday, October 18, 2014 4:43 AM
Wayne,

Excellent examples and a solid walkthrough, thank you.

Btw, for your question about real-use of range, you'd have to wrap the results in a distinct.

I'm thinking of log-entries. If you want by day-running totals, you'd do a by range and then distinct the results on the summed columns and the leading identifiers. This way if 2 ppl worked on a project 1 day and 10 people the next you could still have 2 rows, one identifying each day after the distinct with the correct totals.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1165800
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:45 PM

SSCertifiable

TheSQLGuru (8/25/2011)
Wayne, can you please email me a link to your blog with the perf testing of the Denali OVER enhancements? I did a web search but couldn't find it. TIA!

Hi Kevin,

I guess you missed it up above, in my reply to Jack. Anyway, it's http://blog.waynesheffield.com/wayne/archive/2011/08/running-totals-in-denali-ctp3/ (it was disguised as my blog post).
(Or, you could click the little blue "Blog" button below any of my posts here on SSC. )

Wayne
Post #1165819
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:53 PM

SSCertifiable

Kenneth, Revenant, Jason, Andre, UMG, Craig:

Thanks for your positive feedback, and I'm very glad that you liked the article.

Wayne
Post #1165820
Posted Friday, August 26, 2011 8:35 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:09 PM
Awesome article! Easy to read and very informative.
I especially liked that you provided simple easy-to-understand examples.
Post #1166106
Posted Friday, August 26, 2011 9:27 AM

SSCertifiable

Goldie Lesser (8/26/2011)
Awesome article! Easy to read and very informative.
I especially liked that you provided simple easy-to-understand examples.

Thanks Goldie. I try to provide easy to understand examples to aid people in seeing how something they currently have can be easily adapted.

Wayne
Post #1166172
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse