Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Hidden RBAR: Counting with Recursive CTE's Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:45 AM
Nice article! Thanks for the performance stats with the examples. I sense that I have some production code to rewrite now....
Post #1156241
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:01 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:44 AM
Good God i had no idea reading could make me feel so smart!...now it just has to sink in
Thank you very much for explaining the intracacies of each path.
drew
Post #1156289
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:05 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:45 PM
Great Article Jeff.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1156295
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:14 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, December 6, 2013 8:32 AM
Nice article - but I will mention: recursive CTE's aren't always slow! In fact, in my study of the capabilities of the optimizer a few years back, I found that the optimizer was definitely able to properly turn many tail-recursive CTE's into loops, making them just as fast - and far more transparent - than hand writing the loop. I don't have time to dig out code now, but it's pretty easy to test on your own: the key is to make the CTE properly tail-recursive, and keep it simple. The optimizer is definitely incapable of tail recursion optimization across functions, though.

But just because it's recursive doesn't necessarily mean it's slow!
-frank

The End.
Post #1156305
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:21 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 4:53 PM
terrance.steadman (8/8/2011)
Greetings Jeff,

That was a wonderful and very insightful article about rCTE's and ways to count out of the box. I will have to put some of the pseudo-counters into practice in my scripts.

Thank you for sharing.

P.S.

Beer popsicles are possible if you know the *secret* ingredient to mix to make it become solid.

Heh... yeah... the ol' "hot ice" trick works pretty well but makes the beer taste pretty bad. That's why I use the "Chill'n'Tap" method, instead.

Thanks for stopping by and for the feedback. Hmmmm. "Pseudo-Counters". You may have just coined your own term for the 3 counting methods in the article that use "Pseudo-Cursors".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1156312
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:28 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Sir Slicendice (8/8/2011)
But just because it's recursive doesn't necessarily mean it's slow!
-frank

Nor did I say so in the article. I absolutely agree and that's why I limited the slowness problem to these types of "counting" rCTE's. Even the title of the article reflects that fact.

It is good, though, to emphasize the fact that I was only talking about Counting rCTE's in the article, so thanks for bringing it up, Frank. I have to admit , though... although While Loops and rCTE's take turns winning, I generally try to avoid both in favor of set-based solutions.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1156318
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

drew.georgopulos (8/8/2011)
Good God i had no idea reading could make me feel so smart!...now it just has to sink in
Thank you very much for explaining the intracacies of each path.
drew

Heh... sorry about the very slow lead-in on Pseudo-Cursors. Drew. At the risk of causing some of the more experienced users to nod off, I wanted to make absolutely sure that even a total Neophyte to SQL would understand the idea.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1156319
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:35 PM

SSC-Dedicated

CELKO (8/8/2011)
This was really good. I was surprised that the WHILE loop did so better than the rCTE. I was expecting the loop to be a bit better because it does not have to touch a table except to write an integer, but I expected the optimizer to turn the rCTE into a loop.

Thanks for stopping by and for the feedback, Joe. I think I'm regretting not including a While Loop in the coded demonstration in the article. Maybe I'll go back and add it in along with the results in the graphs, as well. I've just got to find the time to do that.

Shifiting gears, how's the 2nd edition of "Trees" coming along?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1156324
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:41 PM

SSC-Dedicated

mcannistra (8/8/2011)
Thank you Jeff for your wonderful post.
It has been extremely helpful to achieve faster speed in a test case I was creating on sql azure.
I referenced your post in the Microsoft forum where I had already started a thread before finding your precious info:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdsgetstarted/thread/c368315a-1bf1-4353-b0af-c4cfbb44b2c1

Cheers,
Mario

Thanks for the read and the feedback, Mario. Just remember... I didn't invent any of these methods (they've all been around for a very long time) especially the Cascading CTE method. That's Itzik Ben-Gan's. The only thing I did differently was to include some optimizations that a bunch of us here at SSC have added over time, one of which is the Base 10 counts. Itzik used Base 2 in his and, IIRC, was also the first to use the "TOP" optimization.

And thanks for the mention on the MSDN forum. I'm glad you could put one of the methods to good use so quickly.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1156328
Posted Monday, August 8, 2011 12:47 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Kenneth Wymore (8/8/2011)
Nice article! Thanks for the performance stats with the examples. I sense that I have some production code to rewrite now....

BWAA_HAAA!!! It'll be a "Fire Drill" for sure, Kenneth.

As Frank pointed out in a post above, not all rCTE's are bad. The article was only concerned with "Counting" rCTE's. It's worthwhile to to compare methods before deciding which method to put into production. Usually, I avoid rCTE's altogether simply because I can usually find or build a bit a set based code but I do test rCTE solutions as well as others in my "need for speed".

Thanks for the read and the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1156335
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse