Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

convert CSV file to XML file format based on XSD file using SSIS (SQL Server 2008R2) Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 5:15 PM
Hi All,

In my current project we have requirement where i have to convert CSV file to XML file format based on XSD file using SSIS & T-sql .
Could you please let me know the best way of converting CSV to XML file format...

Thanks for your help

Regards
Krsihna
Post #1152872
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:20 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:48 AM
Have you considered using XSLT to transform the file? If you already have an XSD then mapping the input columns to that should be trivial with a decent XML Development IDE. Check out XML Spy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1152958
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:35 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Thanks for your suggestion ,however our team is looking for something Open source.let me know if we have something like XML Spy which is open source.

I have the XSD file for my XML file ,Can we convert using some .net plug in ?
Post #1153060
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:03 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:48 AM
krish.sett (8/2/2011)
Thanks for your suggestion ,however our team is looking for something Open source.let me know if we have something like XML Spy which is open source.

I have the XSD file for my XML file ,Can we convert using some .net plug in ?

XML Spy is just a development tool. SSIS, which you said you were open to using, will do the actual conversion of your CSV file to an XML file using the XSLT file you designed in XML Spy and the XSD you were given. Have a look at the XML Task in SSIS. You would be looking at a config similar to this:

If XML Spy is too pricey search for "free xslt designer" or "open source xml ide" and see what turns up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Post Attachments 
ssis_xslt.jpg (169 views, 49.43 KB)
Post #1153172
Posted Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:29 AM
Valued Member

Thanks for the info.....so basically i need to create a XSLT file for my XML file so that i can use XML Task Editor for the conversion.

This is really awesome...thanks for the suggestion and will work on creating XSLT file (Its new stuff to me) and will let you once i am done.

Once again thank u very much
Post #1153583
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:35 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 4:49 AM
krish.sett (8/3/2011)
Thanks for the info.....so basically i need to create a XSLT file for my XML file so that i can use XML Task Editor for the conversion.

This is really awesome...thanks for the suggestion and will work on creating XSLT file (Its new stuff to me) and will let you once i am done.

Once again thank u very much

Writing XML Transforms (what you will hear XSLT files referred to) can be a little tricky. A really good site for getting the basics down is the W3Schools XSL tutorial and their XPath Tutorial.

-- Alan Burstein

Read this article for best practices on asking questions.
Need to split a string? Try this (Jeff Moden)
Need a pattern-based string spitter? Try this (Dwain Camps)
My blog
Post #1515732
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:19 PM
miraeg66 (11/13/2013)
thanks alot for the info

Heh... foreign language or not, I hate SPAM! Reported!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1515808
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse