Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Convert comma seperated list into one column (Cognos) Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:17 PM
savedanthony (8/4/2011)
It's just hard to find someone with the knowledge in both systems. But thank you both for trying.

Sorry we couldn't help more.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1154330
Posted Friday, August 5, 2011 12:05 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:13 PM
savedanthony (7/28/2011)
I am trying to use SQL to transfer a prompt list of values into a column that I can join with values in a cognos table in order to have a full report rather then needing to do external work in excel or somewhere outside of cognos. Here's what I have so far for my sql:

select
(#prompt('List', 'String')#) as Data_Item1,
(#sq(csv( split(', ', prompt('List', 'token') ) ))#) as Data_Item4
from
MAXIMO_DW..MAXIMOCGNS.ASSET C__wo__ASSET
where
(C__wo__ASSET.ASSETNUM = 'LC061808' or C__wo__ASSET.ASSETNUM = 'MA3004')

This will bring back the prompted value as one entry as entered (data_item1) or with extra single quotes on each entry (Data_item4). Now I have seen functions that will do what I want, but I don't know how to integrate them into this setup. The purpose for this setup is it atleast passes and gives me an outcome. The other functions I have tried only give me an error that I can't figure out. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The way I've done something similar to this (note I have Cognos 8.4 and SQL Server so you may have to change the code to work in ORACLE) is:
1) Create a table valued function (TVF) in SQL Server that accepts a comma separated string and parses it out to a table. There are many good ways to do this (see the Tally Table option presented previously) but I've used the attached funtion -ufn_Split.txt. It's not perfect or robust but works well for the limited set of circumstances I use it for (no embedded commas in the data and a not terribly large data set) and it's obvious enough that if I'm hit by a bus I don't worry much.
2) Create a Query Subject in Framework Manager. Pass the cognos macro value (#macro stuff#) into the TVF and get back the table.
SELECT *
FROM dbo.ufn_Split (#CSVIdentityNameList(',')#)

This really belongs in a Cognos forum since the complexity is all in Cognos and it's macro handling oddities rather than SQL Server but since I was here...

-Darren Wallace

Post Attachments 
ufn_Split.txt (9 views, 1,011 bytes)
Post #1155287
Posted Friday, August 5, 2011 1:47 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:17 PM
Darren Wallace (8/5/2011)
savedanthony (7/28/2011)
I am trying to use SQL to transfer a prompt list of values into a column that I can join with values in a cognos table in order to have a full report rather then needing to do external work in excel or somewhere outside of cognos. Here's what I have so far for my sql:

select
(#prompt('List', 'String')#) as Data_Item1,
(#sq(csv( split(', ', prompt('List', 'token') ) ))#) as Data_Item4
from
MAXIMO_DW..MAXIMOCGNS.ASSET C__wo__ASSET
where
(C__wo__ASSET.ASSETNUM = 'LC061808' or C__wo__ASSET.ASSETNUM = 'MA3004')

This will bring back the prompted value as one entry as entered (data_item1) or with extra single quotes on each entry (Data_item4). Now I have seen functions that will do what I want, but I don't know how to integrate them into this setup. The purpose for this setup is it atleast passes and gives me an outcome. The other functions I have tried only give me an error that I can't figure out. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The way I've done something similar to this (note I have Cognos 8.4 and SQL Server so you may have to change the code to work in ORACLE) is:
1) Create a table valued function (TVF) in SQL Server that accepts a comma separated string and parses it out to a table. There are many good ways to do this (see the Tally Table option presented previously) but I've used the attached funtion -ufn_Split.txt. It's not perfect or robust but works well for the limited set of circumstances I use it for (no embedded commas in the data and a not terribly large data set) and it's obvious enough that if I'm hit by a bus I don't worry much.
2) Create a Query Subject in Framework Manager. Pass the cognos macro value (#macro stuff#) into the TVF and get back the table.
SELECT *
FROM dbo.ufn_Split (#CSVIdentityNameList(',')#)

This really belongs in a Cognos forum since the complexity is all in Cognos and it's macro handling oddities rather than SQL Server but since I was here...

-Darren Wallace

Thanks for chipping in.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1155340
Posted Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:10 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 3, 2011 3:01 PM
Hey, I did find a couple of steps from some coworkers. Basically I found that I could use the format:

SELECT (substr(#prompt('List', 'String')#,1,instr(#prompt('List','String')#,', ')-1)) Asset FROM Dual Union
SELECT (upper(#prompt('List', 'String')#) || ', ') Asset FROM Dual Union
SELECT 'Last' Asset FROM Dual

and basically add as many things as I want as long as the last option doesn't have union on it. So, the next part I am confused on is how to use an if then or case statement to decide what to select. For example the code above works, now ideally I would like to use:

if #prompt('Choice','String')# = 'Yes'
then
SELECT (substr(#prompt('List', 'String')#,1,instr(#prompt('List','String')#,', ')-1)) Asset FROM Dual Union
SELECT (upper(#prompt('List', 'String')#) || 'Test') Asset FROM Dual Union
SELECT 'It worked' Asset FROM Dual
else
SELECT (upper(#prompt('List', 'String')#) || 'Test') Asset FROM Dual Union
SELECT 'Some Text Data2' Asset FROM Dual end

I don't know the syntex for using the if then test to decide what to select though.
Post #1175268
Posted Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:56 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 3, 2011 3:01 PM
basically the logic of this code is what I need into the format of an sql select query:

declare @start as int;
declare @end as int;
declare @entries as int;

set @start = 1;

set @entries = (length(#prompt('List','String')#) - length(replace(#prompt('List','String')#, ',')))+1;

for i = 1 to @entries

@end = instr(#prompt('List','String')#,', ',@start)-1;

if i = @entries

then
SELECT (substr(#prompt('List', 'String')#,@start,@end)) Asset FROM Dual

else
SELECT (substr(#prompt('List', 'String')#,@start,@end)) Asset FROM Dual union

end

@start = @end + 2;

next

Post #1175301
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »