Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Performance Monitoring - Basic Counters Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:07 AM

I liked the article as it was concise and gave good tips for where to start.  Is anyone out there using the SQLH2 tool available from MIcrosoft.  I am using it and it is very helpful as it provides reports (SQL RS) that allow you to track usage over time.  It is not as user friendly as some other tools available from Idera and others, but it is free, which at my compnay makes it the only one I can use to monitor.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #236592
Posted Friday, November 11, 2005 12:07 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, May 12, 2014 8:54 AM

Good Job Steeve,

Will be nice for new comers, and a nice recap for old dummies.

I have more counters, but it includes all the counters you have listed.

Sincerely, I had to go through the hard route to come up with my list of counters. Where were you till now?

five smileys for you.

Jambu

Post #236631
Posted Friday, November 11, 2005 12:32 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:23 PM
I keep trying not to be a DBA after having done it since 1982.  I am more interested in developing products; but I keep falling back into the trap that data needs to be migrated, databases need to be managed, and performance needs to be improved.  So, now that I do not have the responsibility, but the database isn't taking care of itself, it's nice to have some stuff to plug in to at least look like I am doing that job, too!  Thanks Steve.  it is a pleasure to know you and your efforts are appreciated.

Cheers,

david russell

Post #236634
Posted Monday, December 19, 2005 10:33 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:02 AM

A number of contributors have added some useful monitoring check list to supplement this good article. Great work everyone!

One thing I would be interested in finding out: what happens next? For example, if the monitoring shows up excessive disk queueing, how can this be fixed? Are there articles/books that discuss both monitoring and resolutions to the problem?

Post #245443
Posted Thursday, July 6, 2006 12:42 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, January 24, 2014 12:26 AM

Hi Steve

Thanks for the article. Nice piece.

I did notice the following differences in the counter objects:

You wrote: System Object : Avg. Disk Queue Length
... I only found it in the Pyhsical Disk Object : Avg. Disk Queue Length

You wrote: SQL Server Databases Methods Object : Transactions/Sec
... was actualy SQL Server Databases Object : Transactions/Sec

and the last one: SQL Server Buffer Manager Object : Cache Hit Ratio
... was SQL Server Buffer Manager Object : Buffer Cache Hit Ratio

I liked Alain's three phase approach to monitoring. Gave me an idea what to do better.

Regards

Post #292427
Posted Monday, October 27, 2008 4:24 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:52 AM
Great job on this Performance Monitoring - Basic Counters article. Just the thing i was looking for, have you already written an article on the Advanced Counters yet, if so please provide details on when/where it should be available!

Keep up the good work!
Post #592520
Posted Friday, January 16, 2009 4:03 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:23 AM
Hi there Steve, I am unable to locate the advanced counters article mentioned in the first bullet point to the first paragraph. Do you have a link to it?

Many thanks, a useful article.
Post #637849
Posted Thursday, August 6, 2009 9:36 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:56 AM
Thanks for the Article Steve. Very well explained. Was looking for this kind of article for some time where all information could be found in one place. It gets hard to find information on different places and then to document it for presentation.

Thanks again. Saved my time.

SQL DBA.
Post #766328
Posted Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:50 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:47 AM
Any updates/changes for SQL 2008? Also, another request for a link to the "Advanced" article, if it was ever written.

Thanks!

R David Francis
Post #855536
Posted Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:25 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:39 AM
Jack Corbett (11/11/2005)

I liked the article as it was concise and gave good tips for where to start. Is anyone out there using the SQLH2 tool available from MIcrosoft. I am using it and it is very helpful as it provides reports (SQL RS) that allow you to track usage over time. It is not as user friendly as some other tools available from Idera and others, but it is free, which at my compnay makes it the only one I can use to monitor.

Hi Jack

has to be free - sounds very familiar! Are you using SQLH2 to monitor performance in a simliar fashion to the performance counters? I going to download it but is there any advice on using it that could be helpful?

Also a general question to all - I'm not a DBA by trade, but I do have to look at performance issues and maintain SQL server instances, so how and where are you storing the results on performance monitoring? Are you doing this constantly, at set times during the day etc etc.? Also, what are you using to compare baseline readings.

With a background in BI work - I'm curious as whether I can use BI to help trend and analyse performance counters across servers. Has anyone else done this?

Good article though that has pointed me in the right direction.

Post #1050094
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse