Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Execution Plans Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:05 AM
Very good article for a beginner who does not have any idea about the execution plan. Thank you:)
Post #598912
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:16 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:22 AM
When giving examples, there is no need to blunder through every possible case of Table Scans before "realizing" MS SQL will only use the index scan on the column that has been indexed.

Although this is the way a beginner would do it while playing with MS SQL, there is no need to write it in your article. This only distracts the reader. It's nice to hear a different flavour of english but in many cases the meaning of your sentences was actually incorrect.
Post #644602
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:30 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:11 AM
phoqueme (1/27/2009)
When giving examples, there is no need to blunder through every possible case of Table Scans before "realizing" MS SQL will only use the index scan on the column that has been indexed.

Although this is the way a beginner would do it while playing with MS SQL, there is no need to write it in your article. This only distracts the reader. It's nice to hear a different flavour of english but in many cases the meaning of your sentences was actually incorrect.

Heh... all that from someone with a handle like "phoqueme". Grow up.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #644649
Posted Monday, August 10, 2009 12:52 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, November 9, 2009 2:24 AM
Excellent article, I really like your logical approach and elegant examples. Even I did the same kind of research as you have domne on this. Both are very matching. But i lerant few more points from this article.
Post #768101
Posted Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:45 AM
Very wordy verbose article that could have been summed up in a quarter of the space. The broken English made it less fluid to read although generally understandable. Some key points missed regarding the basics of the internals of the optimiser and why some methods are more favourable than others.
Post #769029
Posted Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:28 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:45 AM
I actually think Phoqueme has some valid points regarding the quality of the article and the need to be succinct. Okay, doing a SoundEx on his name may be a little sad, but not anywhere near as sadly pretentious as all that 'first steps to the set based thinking shift' and 'Rebar' twaddle. I mean, where did that RBAR term come from anyway? Someone banging on about how bad cursors are, for the umpteenth time no doubt.

Oh to be a SSC champion... perchance to dream.
Post #769036
Posted Friday, October 9, 2009 3:35 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, May 9, 2014 12:34 AM
I would like to know why non-clustered index on three or more columns does not work even when the columns are put in the same order as in the index and instead of that clustered index scan is called in the Execution plan.

I found through search that Non clustered index is not called because my where clause was not enough selective but what if I need more data and retrieval should be fast.
Post #800608
Posted Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:28 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:27 PM
Really a great explanation.Thak you vjy

Kartheek Anumolu
Post #915662
Posted Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:29 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:27 PM
Really a great explanation.Thak you vjy

Kartheek Anumolu
Post #915665
Posted Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:26 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:05 AM
Very nice article.
Post #922493
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse