Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Creating a 2 Node SQL Server 2008 Virtual Cluster Part 1 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:17 AM
Looks interesting and I'll probably walk through it first chance I get.

Check the link for the FreeNAS download:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8/

MCITP, Database Administrator
A hodgepodge of Information Technology and Life
LinkedIn Profile
My Twitter
Post #1140580
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:27 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:52 AM
thats the latest version which i'm not using in the tutorial and there is a vast difference. try this link for v7 stable release

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-7-Stable/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1140612
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:59 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, August 15, 2011 2:07 PM
Why would you want to do this? What does this achieve? I feel like the article takes for granted that we already know what MS Cluster services is used for.

Any comparison to db replication or other SQL server scale-out technologies?
Post #1140637
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:24 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

tobyteel (7/12/2011)
Why would you want to do this? What does this achieve?

I thought that was clear from the introduction, thanks for your feedback

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1140658
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:38 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:48 PM
tobyteel (7/12/2011)
Why would you want to do this? What does this achieve?

The reason why you would want to do this, is that basically every business using SQL seriously does exactly this - we have several active/active active/passive clusters - some on hardware, some failing over to VM's, some SQL boxes soley on VM. Having a copy of your work environment at home to work on, try out stuff and basically learn keeps you at the top of your game. Buying Technet, WMWare workstation, a decent i7 machine and a large external drive will cost you loads less than a training course and you will learn so much more. Im currently working working towards my MCITP 2011 for when it finally comes out. And I did exactly the same for when the 2008 exams came out - which I got within a few weeks of the exams becoming available.

Again nice article Perry. Maybe when Ive nocked mine up you could give it a once over?

Cheers

P
Post #1140666
Posted Friday, July 15, 2011 3:18 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:52 AM
Hi,

This an excellent one.I was trying to set up a cluster in VMWare and had a problem of adding shared drives.So I found this very very helpful.But I have some problems with it if you can haelp me out...
problem is I am using FreeNAS of following version config

Hostname: freenas.local
OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
Platform: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz
System Time: Fri Jul 15 02:16:54 PDT 2011
Uptime: 2:16AM up 23 mins, 0 users
Load Average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386

I cannot follow your first part becasue I doubt this version is not as yours? Could you pleaes tell me what version of FreeNAS is used for your document and how /where can I find it?

Thank you for your help inadvance!!
Post #1142305
Posted Friday, July 15, 2011 3:45 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:52 AM
Hi perry,

This Link is not working it seems?

Post #1142325
Posted Friday, July 15, 2011 4:09 AM

SSCertifiable

nalinabey (7/15/2011)
Hi perry,

This Link is not working it seems?

try the link above now i have corrected it

Post #1142340
Posted Friday, July 15, 2011 11:37 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Monday, August 15, 2011 2:07 PM
I think my earlier question may not have been clear, so I'll try to rephrase: In what situations would you want to use SQL server with the Microsoft cluster service? I understand why you might want to set up a test environment with VMs. I would like to know why you might want to use this architecture over other SQL server scale-out architectures (there seem to be a LOT of options).

I really don't mean to beat this to death, but I really would like to know.
Post #1142670
Posted Sunday, July 17, 2011 4:52 AM

SSCertifiable

tobyteel (7/15/2011)
I think my earlier question may not have been clear, so I'll try to rephrase: In what situations would you want to use SQL server with the Microsoft cluster service? I understand why you might want to set up a test environment with VMs. I would like to know why you might want to use this architecture over other SQL server scale-out architectures (there seem to be a LOT of options).

I really don't mean to beat this to death, but I really would like to know.

I'm not sure entirely why this is relevant, books online details the difference between the various HA options but we aim to please so

Log Shipping

commonly used to replicate a single database to a remote server for offloading of reporting applications, can also be used as a secondary failover database (manual interaction)

Replication

commonly used to replicate chosen parts of a database schema\data to a remote server for a variety of application (reporting, data distribution)

Database Mirroring

create a failover instance of a chosen database. Can also be used for reporting via the use of database snapshots. This is clustering merely at the database level

Failover Clustering

Primary purpose is to guard against on site hardware failures. In the event of a server loss the whole instance may be quickly resumed on another host

For further info please check Books Online. This article aims to give users the ability to create their own SQL Server cluster from scratch and in the process gain a little knowledge of the surrounding technologies (AD, DNS, ip addressing, Windows server, etc).

Post #1143066
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse