Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Optimizing a cursor based routine – Part 1 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:26 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Optimizing a cursor based routine – Part 1

Clear Sky SQL
My Blog
Kent user group
Post #1131888
Posted Monday, June 27, 2011 4:27 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 10:21 AM
Nice Job Dave.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1132549
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:47 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:26 AM
Thanks Jason,

It was a long hard slog to get it to this point.

Glad you enjoyed it

FYI : Part 2 is now active here http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/73889/

Clear Sky SQL
My Blog
Kent user group
Post #1132893
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:59 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:46 AM
Nice article, well written, very informational, good explanations. I look forward to future articles from you.
Post #1133140
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:32 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:02 PM
I'm not sure why you're keeping this in a cursor at all. The report looks simple enough to just write the entire report as a big select statement. Which will be an order of magnitude faster than a cursor.
Post #1133245
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:44 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:20 PM
For simplicity of example?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1133256
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:06 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:31 AM
Great article, Dave! Very well done!

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1133279
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:20 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:59 AM
wbrianwhite (6/28/2011)
I'm not sure why you're keeping this in a cursor at all. The report looks simple enough to just write the entire report as a big select statement. Which will be an order of magnitude faster than a cursor.

Surely you did notice that this article is "Part 1"? I would suspect that "Part 2" takes care of that!

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1133320
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:21 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:59 AM
Excellent Dave. I really like the progression you take for resolving this.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1133322
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:14 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:02 PM
WayneS (6/28/2011)
wbrianwhite (6/28/2011)

Surely you did notice that this article is "Part 1"? I would suspect that "Part 2" takes care of that!

I just looked at it now that it's up. It uses a temp table and a lot of outer apply functions and multiple CTEs. It is a simple enough report to write as just a select. Anything else seems like the wrong tool. Keep it simple and describe what you want in your sql, not how to get it.
Post #1133346
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse