Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

TDE and Replication Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:00 AM
*muttermuttermutter* I knew the correct answer. And I somehow picked the wrong one when I submitted it.

Thanks for a very good question - people often don't pay attention to their assumptions when they are dealing with security issues like this.

-Ki
Post #1122947
Posted Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:09 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:02 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/9/2011)
Glad you liked it. Not sure you can read much into the distribution since it might be a guess for many of the correct answers. This wasn't to try and trick people, but either you know it or you don't, and if not, you learn.

Good point.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1122956
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011 10:32 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 5:59 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/9/2011)
Glad you liked it. Not sure you can read much into the distribution since it might be a guess for many of the correct answers. This wasn't to try and trick people, but either you know it or you don't, and if not, you learn.

Well, the score now is 411 right, 347 wrong. The probability of getting that close to a 50-50 split if everyone thought they were just guessing (eg by tossing a fair coin to get their guess) is under 0.07 if my mental arithmetic is still up to scratch. Of course that doesn't really tell us anything about how much guessing there was, but it makes me think that maybe a lot of people thought they knew the answer (and about half of them were wrong), so that the split amonst those actually guessing was rather wider than 54%-46%.
Anyway, it's a good question that points out a wee hole in security - you can use TDE on the distribution and subscriber databases, but it will still be in clear as it passes between the servers so you will need to encrypt their connection if you want to be really secure.

Tom
Post #1123485
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011 11:08 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:52 PM
[b]Anyway, it's a good question that points out a wee hole in security - you can use TDE on the distribution and subscriber databases, but it will still be in clear as it passes between the servers so you will need to encrypt their connection if you want to be really secure.

Excellent point Tom.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1123523
Posted Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:42 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
Nice question, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1123878
Posted Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:21 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:03 PM
Very important question, thanks Steve!

I was unaware that the data was decrypted before being replicated, although it makes perfect sense. Time to revisit 2 projects :/

Lots of moving parts to think about and I feel terrible about not knowing this one. Should have read Technet on TDE before setting up replication since it IS mentioned in the TDE article...

Keep those coming!!

Peter Trast
Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
Post #1127809
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse