Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Microsoft Certified Master Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:04 PM
Brad Mcghee cover certification and its role in a DBA's career in this ebook how to become an exceptional DBA. You should probably go thru it to give you n idea about what certification means for you. You can download it from the left hand menu on this website under Books.

Jayanth Kurup
Post #1150790
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 7:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:52 PM
talkeffect (7/29/2011)
How is Knowledge Exam? Is it like 70-451 and 70-450 or a little bit harder?

Try several hundred times harder. It's also significantly more expensive. iirc $500 for the knowledge and $2000 for the lab

Because, I would like to plan this exam(Knowledge+Lab), in a week.

I assume you've watched all the videos here (http://www.sqlskills.com/T_MCMVideos.asp) and read all of the material here (http://www.sqlskills.com/MCM.asp) and understand all of it perfectly. If not, you really shouldn't be wasting your money trying. The pass rate among the SQL MVPs in the early part of the year was somewhere around 40%.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1150923
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 7:38 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 6:13 AM
GilaMonster (7/29/2011)
talkeffect (7/29/2011)

Try several hundred times harder. It's also significantly more expensive. iirc $500 for the knowledge and $2000 for the lab

I assume you've watched all the videos here (http://www.sqlskills.com/T_MCMVideos.asp) and read all of the material here (http://www.sqlskills.com/MCM.asp) and understand all of it perfectly. If not, you really shouldn't be wasting your money trying. The pass rate among the SQL MVPs in the early part of the year was somewhere around 40%.

How many hours of study are you going to put in to even attempt it?
Post #1150953
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 7:48 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/29/2011)
GilaMonster (7/29/2011)
talkeffect (7/29/2011)

How many hours of study are you going to put in to even attempt it?

Once I get my Master's thesis (M.Sc) submitted, probably 2-3 months. That's solid studying, 5 evenings a week plus weekend.

I'm fairly strong on the core database engine, storage engine, query processing, etc. What I'll need to focus on mainly is stuff like clustering, mirroring, service broker, CLR, XML, the stuff that's not so core, that I haven't had much experience on.

Oh, and to put things in perspective, I wrote 70-432, 70-433, 70-450, 70-451 cold, no studying at all, and I got over 850 for all of them.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1150960
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 7:55 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 6:13 AM
So ballpark it at 2000 hours if you include all certs .

Ok only 1999.99 hours to go on my end
Post #1150971
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 8:06 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 5:09 PM
Just to answer a couple of questions that remain:

I don't believe that the system enforces that you take the knowledge exam first. However, it is the cheaper of the two exams and much easier, so it would certainly make sense to do so. You can only achive the MCM certification after meeting all pre-requisites and passing both exams, so there is no benefit to taking the harder and more expensive exam first. This does mean that if you do not have both MCITP exams and you pass both MCM exams, you won't get the MCM certification until you also get both MCITP certifications.

There is no time limit placed on you in regards to when you take the second exam. It will be up to you to schedule the seond exam when you are ready. That could be days, weeks, or even months.

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Principal DBA: Outerwall, Inc.
Also available for consulting: SQL DBA Master
Post #1150978
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 8:48 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:36 AM
I'm with Gail 100%, full-on study is the only way through this.

According to Microsoft's site, 60% pass the lab first time, with 80% passing the second time.

The MCM page specifically states the Knowledge exam must be passed before the lab. You don't find out if you have passed for up to 30 days, and you then have to wait 14 days after receiving your score before you can schedule the lab. So forget taking both of them in a week. If you fail an exam you have to wait 90 days before re-attempting it.

I am planning to study hard, upgrade my MCITP 2008 qualifications to 2011, and then take the MCM on 2011. However, anybody who holds MCM 2008 only needs to take the Knowledge exam to upgrade to MCM 2011.

At present I'm a decent all rounder but have minimal clustering experience (even though I know how it works in theory). But I am miles off MCM status. Hopefully I'll take it next year.

Mike.
Post #1151004
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 9:05 AM

SSC-Dedicated

mike.mcquillan (7/29/2011)
According to Microsoft's site, 60% pass the lab first time, with 80% passing the second time.

I suspect that was from back when the MCM was a 3 week training + exam program.

However, anybody who holds MCM 2008 only needs to take the Knowledge exam to upgrade to MCM 2011.

I've been told by several reliable sources that to upgrade you now have to rewrite both. (one of the sources was someone who works on the exams)

At present I'm a decent all rounder but have minimal clustering experience (even though I know how it works in theory). But I am miles off MCM status. Hopefully I'll take it next year.

The one for Denali is unlikely to be out next year, assuming Denali releases late this year/early next year.

Gail Shaw

Post #1151017
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 2:28 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:36 AM
If you have to write both exams then there is effectively no upgrade path, although you are of course already armed with most of the knowledge required to pass the 2011 exams.

Interesting that they have changed this.

Based on the costs involved in taking these exams, I'm willing to wait for the Denali versions, even if that should be late on next year.

Mike.
Post #1151308
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 2:40 PM

SSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 5:09 PM
I'm verifying the accuracy of the upgrade information on the website.

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Principal DBA: Outerwall, Inc.
Also available for consulting: SQL DBA Master
Post #1151318
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse