Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Using SQL Server to collect information from your Oracle server Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:08 AM
daveriya (6/6/2011)
if you installed oracle client on sql server ,then what is the use of if.u need to create linked server to oracle client and then oracle client make connection to oracle server

If you do not install the Oracle client on your SQL server then the link connection will not work or not work properly.

When you create a "linked" connection in SQL server; the server itself is connecting to Oracle (or other SQL servers) and not your desktop.

To understand how linked server connection works I recommend Book On Line (BOL). In this article I am assuming that you know how linked servers work. It's not hard just takes some time to read through.

The only thing that the Oracle client is going to provide you is the correct drivers in order for SQL server to connect to Oracle.

I hope his answers your question.

Thanks,

Rudy

Post #1120362
Posted Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:23 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:10 PM
IMO this should be the service name taken from tnsnames.ora

Kindest Regards,

Damian Widera
SQL Server MVP,
MCT, MCSE Data Platform, MCSD.NET
Post #1120890
Posted Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:55 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:55 AM
JunkMail Victim (6/6/2011)
Great article. It's so much easier to gather Oracle information from SQL Server than Oracle itself.

Oh yeah, it's ease and PAINFULLY SLOW.
I used this configuration many times in different environments and was happy, but in our current environment we have a need to move ~ 1 million rows from SQL Server to Oracle and this job takes several hours to complete. To unload this data to plain text it takes 20 seconds. To load this data from plain text to Oracle it takes several minutes, so simple INSERT ... SELECT ... is a killer.
Good luck with that configuration!
And what's wrong with Oracle-to-Oracle? DBLINK works just fine.
Post #1157363
Posted Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:45 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:21 AM
Hello aleksey2001.

I do internal audit work. My ability to work with information through SQL Server is much greater than in Oracle. Collecting Oracle environmental data through SQL Server is a blessing. So far, I get the results every bit as fast through this method as I do when checking the SQL Server environment alone. Even if it was slow, I could wait.

Everything has its purpose and benefit. This occurs irrespective of your personal wants and desires.

I'm still very glad for the information.
Post #1157878
Posted Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:26 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:55 AM
JunkMail Victim (8/10/2011)
Hello aleksey2001.

I do internal audit work. My ability to work with information through SQL Server is much greater than in Oracle. Collecting Oracle environmental data through SQL Server is a blessing. So far, I get the results every bit as fast through this method as I do when checking the SQL Server environment alone. Even if it was slow, I could wait.

Everything has its purpose and benefit. This occurs irrespective of your personal wants and desires.

I'm still very glad for the information.

Hi JunkMail Victim,

Unfortunately not all users are as patient as you are. They are not willing to wait for several hours to transfer data. I'm not trying to say that it wouldn't work for anybody. It's just I really frustrated with slowness of that configuration at this moment because I need to deal with flat files transfer via SSIS job which need to be run from .Net application. It sucks big time.

BTW I love audit options of ORACLE and kind of confused with SQL Server . Check out the fine grained auditing in Oracle. It's really neat.
Post #1157911
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse