Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Wish you were here? Expand / Collapse
Author

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:10 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Wish you were here?

Veni Vidi Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around
Post #1108833
Posted Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:08 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:28 PM
Good editorial Chris. Missed having you at SQLRally, but it was good to see the rest of the RedGate crew.

I think the value of physically being at a conference depends on where you are at in your career. At this point in my career, I get more value out of the networking than the sessions. The sessions are still great, but the relationships and discussions are even better. Five years ago I needed the sessions more and the videos would have been fine because that education would have been more valuable than the networking.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1108851
Posted Monday, May 16, 2011 6:37 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Thanks, Jack. Sorry I didn't make it out there, but glad you got to meet up with the rest of the gang.

Really interesting point about the time-relative value of physical attendance - I hadn't actually considered that, but it makes very good sense. Do you think the networking would be as effective outside of the event context (i.e. without the education)? With this in mind, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the results from Steve & Andy's mentoring experiment.

Hope you got some good networking done last week!

Veni Vidi Velcro
Post #1109261
Posted Monday, May 16, 2011 8:57 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:37 AM
Hi, I see the topic from another view: It´s not (like Jack qualified: I´m in the information consumer phase, not in the networking) the being there, it´s more being not in my office. When I´m here I would be interrupted all 5 - 10 minutes and can´t concentrate on the dvd. When I´m at the event I´m physically away and so the problems were addressed to colleagues.
That is my point, why I´ll go there.

Michael
Post #1109425
Posted Monday, May 16, 2011 10:50 AM

Grasshopper

Interesting point. Would you offset that against the rate of consumption? I.e. you can focus on the content at the conference, but you're also trying to digest a huge amount of information. On the other hand, you might get distracted when watch a DVD or attending in some other virtual capacity, but you can also control the pace of information to suite your own abilities. Do you think that makes a difference, or maybe influences which events you attend in person, or do you think it's not a significant factor?

Veni Vidi Velcro
Post #1109605
Posted Monday, May 16, 2011 11:45 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:28 PM
camassey (5/16/2011)
Thanks, Jack. Sorry I didn't make it out there, but glad you got to meet up with the rest of the gang.

Really interesting point about the time-relative value of physical attendance - I hadn't actually considered that, but it makes very good sense. Do you think the networking would be as effective outside of the event context (i.e. without the education)? With this in mind, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the results from Steve & Andy's mentoring experiment.

Hope you got some good networking done last week!

Networking is harder to do outside of the event context because events are what bring the people you want or need to meet to where you are. I think The Mentoring Experiment will be interesting because it is deeper than networking. To me networking is meeting as many people as possible and then building relationships with people you have already met. For example I met Mike Fal & Edwin Sarmiento (many others as well) for the first time at this event, but had the opportunity to get to know Stacia Misner and Ira Whiteside better because I had met them at other events. The mentoring experiment is more about finding someone that you likely already know to offer guidance in areas in which you are unfamiliar.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1109666
Posted Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:40 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 8:01 PM
I think that being physically present at these events is better and more valuable than the virtual presence. I'm not saying that a virtual presence is not valuable - because it is worth quite a bit too. But there is a quality to face to face networking and presence in these sessions that can't be gained virtually. The buzz in the room, the networking, the facial expressions (from more than just the presenter), the side chatter during the presentation - all of this contributes to the experience.

Being able to meet somebody in person with whom you have only chatted with on twitter, talked to on the phone, or conversed with in the forums is worth the price of admission in many cases. Whether that price is travel to a free sqlsaturday, or the big ticket cost plus travel incurred from PASS Summit - it is well worth it.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1110455
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse