Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Performance Counters Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:16 PM
John Mitchell-245523 (5/9/2011)
I discounted Page splits/sec because page splits are also caused by INSERT statements, and therefore if you wanted to measure the rate at which UPDATE statements cause data to be moved, you may get some misleading results.

Have I missed something, or did I misread the question?

John

Hard to tell here. I did ask for movement because of size differentials. I suppose an insert could be argued to cause this and I'll concede here. I've altered the question to say insert and update.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1105503
Posted Monday, May 9, 2011 9:38 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:03 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/9/2011)
I discounted Page splits/sec because page splits are also caused by INSERT statements, and therefore if you wanted to measure the rate at which UPDATE statements cause data to be moved, you may get some misleading results.

John

Hard to tell here. I did ask for movement because of size differentials. I suppose an insert could be argued to cause this and I'll concede here. I've altered the question to say insert and update.

Glad you asked the question, John, and that Steve updated before I read it. I would have had the same question. We have had alot of really good questions the last few weeks, although I am not sure if questions that DON'T start a debate are really so great after all :)

Peter Trast
Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
Post #1105513
Posted Monday, May 9, 2011 10:47 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 AM

John

Steve- Great question. Glad you updated it. Wish I would have re-read the question after selecting the link in my email. The "Update" and "new structures" wording made me believe the answer was "Extents Allocated/sec".
Post #1105577
Posted Monday, May 9, 2011 10:54 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 AM
Peter Trast (5/9/2011)
We have had alot of really good questions the last few weeks, although I am not sure if questions that DON'T start a debate are really so great after all :)

LOL Peter... did you foget the j/k after that?
Seriously though I have to agree.
Being able to debate and prove an answer or statement is correct without using misquoted data or invalid jumps in logic is very important when teaching professional adults.

My MCT course had a statement that stuck with me;
"Children will believe in anything, Adults require some proof."
Post #1105583
Posted Monday, May 9, 2011 12:13 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:51 PM
Thanks for the question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1105673
Posted Monday, May 9, 2011 12:33 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:00 PM
Nice question thanks! I agree that more like this would be nice.
Post #1105680
Posted Monday, May 9, 2011 7:58 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:03 PM
SanDroid (5/9/2011)
Peter Trast (5/9/2011)
We have had alot of really good questions the last few weeks, although I am not sure if questions that DON'T start a debate are really so great after all :)

LOL Peter... did you foget the j/k after that?
Seriously though I have to agree.
Being able to debate and prove an answer or statement is correct without using misquoted data or invalid jumps in logic is very important when teaching professional adults.

My MCT course had a statement that stuck with me;
"Children will believe in anything, Adults require some proof."

Yeah, I was only half-kidding I don't like how serious some people get when they are trying to make their opinion the winning point of view, BUT an animated discussion reveals alot of deep info.

Peter Trast
Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
Post #1105814
Posted Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:41 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 6:17 AM
Christian Buettner-167247 (5/9/2011)
The answer does not sound right to me.
For heaps, there are no page splits, therefore the only counter that gives me the answer for both, indexes & heaps, is the Pages Allocated/sec counter.

While you are correct that page splits do not occur for heaps, it also means that there is no movement to new pages. This isn't pages used for data, the question asked for pages on which data is moved.

Hi Steve, when the 2nd row from my example heap is updated, the data of the 2nd row actually is being moved to a new page.

Best Regards,
Chris Büttner
Post #1105908
Posted Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:53 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:16 PM
Chris,

You are right, and I've altered the question to specify non-heaps.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1106263
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse