Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Intelligence Cloud Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:42 AM
j_e_o (5/2/2011)
Steve, you finally pulled back the curtain to show that the great and powerful "Cloud" is really a marketing humbug (at least the way they are pitching it).

...and one other thing: who takes the blame when someone walks off with your precious data or the cloud vanishes because the vender comes under attack? You do!

In anticipation of the probably debate that some data isn't that important...

If you can live without the data, and it isn't "precious" or important, then why are you saving it? Why would you want to pay someone else to save it?

Thanks, j_e_o for prompting me on this, I had a tought time coming up with an example in my post. Although I am sure there is some reason to use the cloud, I just can't come up with a good one.

Dave
Post #1101595
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 9:11 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:03 AM
Being one of those people who included the 'cloud' in my drawings, I've always been suspicious of the 'real' cloud. I've always used the cloud as shorthand for something between 'magic' and 'here be dragons'. That is, the cloud represents a breakdown in control or knowledge. I've always felt it my role to make the clouds smaller and smaller until everything was understood and under control.

That said, I can see value in pushing the data and even the applications to auto-scaling, available-from-anywhere systems. I can see value in packaging everything it takes to do so in a way that abstracts away the gritty details. I can see value in letting people smarter and more skilled than I am configure the hardware, software, delivery mechanisms, recovery mechanisms, etc.

I look at some of this the way I look at driverless cars. As much as I like driving, if letting the computer take over reduces the risk, I'll let the computer drive. If an actual risk analysis shows that risk is reduced by 'going cloud', then I'll recommend that.
Post #1101646
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 9:40 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:42 AM
Ron Porter (5/2/2011)

That said, I can see value in pushing the data and even the applications to auto-scaling, available-from-anywhere systems. I can see value in packaging everything it takes to do so in a way that abstracts away the gritty details. I can see value in letting people smarter and more skilled than I am configure the hardware, software, delivery mechanisms, recovery mechanisms, etc.

I look at some of this the way I look at driverless cars. As much as I like driving, if letting the computer take over reduces the risk, I'll let the computer drive. If an actual risk analysis shows that risk is reduced by 'going cloud', then I'll recommend that.

Years ago there was a retailer of electronics that sold a huge number of warranty contracts. People spent millions of dollars on them. The company, the name of which I can't recall right now, went out of business.

What happened to all of those warranties? Why they were useless of course. How can you get an out of business company with no brick and mortar locations to repair or replace the failed product you purchased?

They too thought that the simple act of reducing risk was a good thing. You just can't measure things that way. Reducing risk A by $5000 while increasing risk B by $5,000,000 is very bad.

Dave
Post #1101681
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 9:56 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:19 AM
Now, instead of acronyms, the industry is using visually appealing terms to sell. I remember when 'BI' came out, I was baffled. Did I miss something? Nope, same old thing I'd been doing for years, just a new marketing ploy. Now it's imagery; web, clouds, what's next? Eagles? Submarines? Shooting stars? It's makes for a lot of comedy though, especially in meetings when managers and marketing start slinging acronyms and catch phrases around.
Post #1101695
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 10:31 AM
SSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:04 AM
Alan Vogan (5/2/2011)
Now, instead of acronyms, the industry is using visually appealing terms to sell. I remember when 'BI' came out, I was baffled. Did I miss something? Nope, same old thing I'd been doing for years, just a new marketing ploy. Now it's imagery; web, clouds, what's next? Eagles? Submarines? Shooting stars? It's makes for a lot of comedy though, especially in meetings when managers and marketing start slinging acronyms and catch phrases around.

Shooting stars: Sun Starfire
Submarines: IBM Deep Blue?
Eagles: Mozilla Thunderbird?

Catchy names are nothing new I guess.
Post #1101726
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 10:59 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:39 AM
Hush now!! Just keep quiet and load up your stock portfolio on all this 'cloud' hoopla!! Just remember to bail when the market figures out the whole thing is just different color lipstick on the same old pig....

Pay no attention to the hype behind the curtian!! I am the great and powerful cloud!!!

Oink!
Post #1101748
Posted Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:56 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:05 PM
kent.kester (5/2/2011)
I think someone slipped up and let a marketing type look at a spec document for someone's network. They saw this cloud-shaped thing and decided it was marketable.

Here's the problem. Most of the world thinks of "The Web" and "The Internet" as the same thing. So when you start trying to market something decidedly non-webby you need a new term for it. "The Cloud" is just a bunch of internet services that most of us have been using for years. We could purchase hosting services on the other side of the world that would provide everything "The Cloud" is promising today. Or we could set up our own sites (or colocation) locally or remotely to give us that functionality.

Personally, I'm not trusting my corporate data to any server that I can't lay my hands on. There are federal laws and regulations (HIPAA, SARBOX, etc) that make me nervous about such things.

Well said! The problem is the government WANTS the cloud and badly because it will more eaisly allow its agencies to access/get at data that it now is supposed to jump thru legal hurdles to access. Because of this the cloud will eventually be pushed onto everyone.

Once a sizeable number have moved to the cloud so that the bulk of those left not in the cloud are those who refuse to move there will be some vent that is used as justification that all must be on the cloud. It will be something like a major hack or security issue/take down and the government will say that the only way to effectively secure the cloud for all existing cloud users is if everyone is required to us the cloud and so the rest will be pushed into it.

Anyone using a non-cloud enabled system will have tehir hardware confiscated by Homeland Security for eTerror activities. Sound crazy? Just 5 years ago the suggestion of the idea that in the near future security at the airport would be feeling you up as part of the check in process would have been met with "conspiracy theorists' & ‘Wack Job’ replies and yet here we are. Granted they use the justification of its being to stop terrorism and so the same will be used to rid all of private systems outside the cloud.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
Post #1103560
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse