Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««5051525354»»»

Tally OH! An Improved SQL 8K “CSV Splitter” Function Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:31 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:34 AM
Tested function with 2 delimiters, works great, although it takes some time to run (20 minutes to run on a table with 887,994 rows whose splitting resulted in 13,397,215 rows).
Post #1419700
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:36 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:24 PM
ahpitre (2/13/2013)
How do you use this function? Also, how can I pass an additional parameter, so it's always inserted into the new table? I have a column named Part. I want the table with the split to include Part (which is repeated for all substrings that are splitted from main string). My final output should be something like this :

Input_table

Part Specs
---------------------------------
123 D-dfldkk; P-4987843; D48974587
456 A-dfldkk; Z-4987843

Output_table (created by Split function)

Part Specs
---------------------------------
123 D-dfldkk
123 P-4987843
123 D48974587
456 A-dfldkk
456 Z-4987843

By using cross apply. I will show you the code but please PLEASE PLEASE do NOT just blindly use this code. You need to understand what it is doing so you are able to support it. It is your phone that will be ringing at 3am not mine.

if object_id('tempdb..#Input') is not null
drop table #Input

create table #Input
(
Part int,
Specs varchar(50)
)

insert #Input
select 123, 'D-dfldkk; P-4987843; D48974587' union all
select 456, 'A-dfldkk; Z-4987843'

--The above is your table

--To avoid the performance issues with using replace while calling the DelimitedSplit8K function
--we can do this with a cte

;with cte as
(
select Part, Replace(Specs, '; ', ';') as Specs
from #Input
)

--Now we just need to retrieve the data
select cte.Part, s.Item as Specs
from cte
cross apply dbo.DelimitedSplit8k(cte.Specs, ';') s

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1419704
Posted Monday, February 18, 2013 9:29 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, February 22, 2013 11:34 AM
THis function works great, but, has the following limitations or things that can be improved :

1) If the string to be splitted has the delimiter character at the end, then, it returns an additional item/ItemNumber row where item will be empty. For example :

Searching for ; on a string that contains 'ddkfjdkdjkdfkdjl;1111;' will result in :

ItemNumber Item
------------------------------------------
1 ddkfjdkdjkdfkdjl
2 1111

So, function needs to be fixed to not return the last item if it will result in an empty item (NULL or '').

2) I managed to put all my delimiters on a table, then, CROSS Join my main table to the Delimiters table. The result allows you to dynamically insert the character being searched for, and, searching for multiple characters without having to hard code them on the SQL command. An example of my 1st step prior to using the delimiter8k function :

SELECT * FROM dbo.tblDelimiters CROSS JOIN
dbo.qryDoc_Ref_Specs_to_Doc_Controlling_Parts
WHERE (dbo.qryDoc_Ref_Specs_to_Doc_Controlling_Parts.[Reference Specs] LIKE N'%' + dbo.tblDelimiters.delimiter)

I then use the above results as my data source for the CROS APPLY query with the delimited8K function. My query then looks like this :

SELECT DISTINCT *
FROM [ESM].[dbo].[qryDoc_Ref_Specs_to_Doc_Controlling_Parts_delimited_Ref_Specs] CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit8K([Reference Specs],
[Reference Specs delimiter])
Post #1421270
Posted Monday, February 18, 2013 12:18 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
ahpitre (2/18/2013)
THis function works great, but, has the following limitations or things that can be improved :

1) If the string to be splitted has the delimiter character at the end, then, it returns an additional item/ItemNumber row where item will be empty. For example :

Searching for ; on a string that contains 'ddkfjdkdjkdfkdjl;1111;' will result in :

ItemNumber Item
------------------------------------------
1 ddkfjdkdjkdfkdjl
2 1111

So, function needs to be fixed to not return the last item if it will result in an empty item (NULL or '').

2) I managed to put all my delimiters on a table, then, CROSS Join my main table to the Delimiters table. The result allows you to dynamically insert the character being searched for, and, searching for multiple characters without having to hard code them on the SQL command. An example of my 1st step prior to using the delimiter8k function :

SELECT * FROM dbo.tblDelimiters CROSS JOIN
dbo.qryDoc_Ref_Specs_to_Doc_Controlling_Parts
WHERE (dbo.qryDoc_Ref_Specs_to_Doc_Controlling_Parts.[Reference Specs] LIKE N'%' + dbo.tblDelimiters.delimiter)

I then use the above results as my data source for the CROS APPLY query with the delimited8K function. My query then looks like this :

SELECT DISTINCT *
FROM [ESM].[dbo].[qryDoc_Ref_Specs_to_Doc_Controlling_Parts_delimited_Ref_Specs] CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit8K([Reference Specs],
[Reference Specs delimiter])

Delimiter at the end means the same thing as a delimiter at the beginning. There's a missing element. Don't fix it in the splitter. Fix it in the code that uses the delimiter output.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1421324
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:41 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:20 PM
Hi Jeff,

I just sent you an email with some interesting performance test results if you get a chance to have a look.

MM

• MMGrid Addin
  • MMNose Addin

• Forum Etiquette: How to post Reporting Services problems
  • Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
  • How to Post Performance Problems - by Gail Shaw

• Post #1422834
    Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 5:44 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:43 PM
    mister.magoo (2/21/2013)
    Hi Jeff,

I just sent you an email with some interesting performance test results if you get a chance to have a look.

Hey, NOT COOL!! We do PUBLIC performance testing around these parts! You test it, you post it!

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru at GMail
    Post #1423005
    Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 6:15 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

TheSQLGuru (2/22/2013)

Hey, NOT COOL!! We do PUBLIC performance testing around these parts! You test it, you post it!

Right, if I get flamed for this, you have to save me !

I have crudely highlighted the two winners...the CLR split clearly still way ahead, but the new T-SQL version not too shabby

Attached testing results data spreadsheet for those that trust me enough to open it (it is safe !)

And here is the code (with notes removed for brevity) and the changes underlined.

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[DelimitedSplit8KB]
    --===== Define I/O parameters
    (@pString VARCHAR(8000) , @pDelimiter CHAR(1))
    --WARNING!!! DO NOT USE MAX DATA-TYPES HERE! IT WILL KILL PERFORMANCE!
    RETURNS TABLE WITH SCHEMABINDING AS
    RETURN
    --===== "Inline" CTE Driven "Tally Table" produces values from 1 up to 10,000...
    -- enough to cover VARCHAR(8000)
    WITH E1(N) AS (
    SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL
    SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL
    SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1
    ), --10E+1 or 10 rows
    E2(N) AS (SELECT 1 FROM E1 a, E1 b), --10E+2 or 100 rows
    E4(N) AS (SELECT 1 FROM E2 a, E2 b), --10E+4 or 10,000 rows max
    cteTally(N) AS (--==== This provides the "base" CTE and limits the number of rows right up front
    -- for both a performance gain and prevention of accidental "overruns"
    SELECT TOP (ISNULL(DATALENGTH(@pString),0)) ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) FROM E4
    ),
    cteStart(N1) AS (--==== This returns N+1 (starting position of each "element" just once for each delimiter)
    SELECT 1 UNION ALL
    SELECT t.N+1 FROM cteTally t WHERE SUBSTRING(@pString,t.N,1) COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN = @pDelimiter COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN
    ),
    cteLen(N1,L1) AS(--==== Return start and length (for use in substring)
    SELECT s.N1,
    ISNULL(NULLIF(CHARINDEX(@pDelimiter COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN,@pString COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN,s.N1) ,0)-s.N1,8000)
    FROM cteStart s
    )
    --===== Do the actual split. The ISNULL/NULLIF combo handles the length for the final element when no delimiter is found.
    SELECT ItemNumber = ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY l.N1),
    Item = SUBSTRING(@pString, l.N1, l.L1)
    FROM cteLen l
    ;

Sorry if I have made a mistake, but I think this is valid.

MM

• MMGrid Addin
  • MMNose Addin

• Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden

•   Post Attachments 
    DelimitedSplitTests_MM_220213.xlsx (2 views, 43.94 KB)
    ComparisonMM210213.PNG (190 views, 78.34 KB)
    Post #1423017
    Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 7:48 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:44 PM
    mister.magoo (2/22/2013)
    And here is the code (with notes removed for brevity) and the changes underlined.

Looks good to me - using a binary collation probably speeds up the comparison.

Something completely different though: the three comments
    --10E+1 or 10 rows
    --10E+2 or 100 rows
    --10E+4 or 10,000 rows max
    are all wrong: "10E" should be "1E" in each case.

Tom
    Post #1423069
    Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 7:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:33 AM
    L' Eomot Inversé (2/22/2013)
    mister.magoo (2/22/2013)

Looks good to me - using a binary collation probably speeds up the comparison....

Confirmed. A process I'm currently working on which makes extensive use of the function, runs in less than half the time using MM's modification.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
    Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
    Post #1423072
    Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 7:55 AM

SSCommitted

ChrisM@Work (2/22/2013)
    L' Eomot Inversé (2/22/2013)
    mister.magoo (2/22/2013)

Looks good to me - using a binary collation probably speeds up the comparison....

Confirmed. A process I'm currently working on which makes extensive use of the function, runs in less than half the time using MM's modification.

Nice to hear confirmation from a real example.

What bothered me was that feeling that "someone should have thought of this ages ago, shouldn't they"?
    Always makes me nervous when that is the case...

MM

• MMGrid Addin
  • MMNose Addin

• Post #1423077
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««5051525354»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse