Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

PolyServe replacement options Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:13 AM
Anyone looking for a PolyServe replacement should look to DH2i.com and DxConsole.

It is everything PolyServe used to be and so much more. (Full disclosure, I am an ex-PolyServe employee and now head up sales at DH2i).

Quick overview of features:
Full instance mobility, and HA monitoring
Define an SLA to an instance, then guarantee it through full QOS to that instance (proc, memory, network, storage IO)
VSS integration
support of SQL 2005 and up, any edition and any mix of versions simultaneous.
Supports 64 bit version of Windows 2008, r2 or 2012 simultaneous in one cluster.
Manage SQL instances across both physical and VM hosts simultaneously (hyper V, VmWare, etc)
Vastly simplified patching
Essentially unlimited cluster size
stretch cluster capability
auto load balancing
a very easy migration tool, Dxtransfer.

It is worth looking into.

regards,

Carl Berglund

Post #1403877
Posted Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:30 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:29 PM

We are also considering Sanbolic. Can you elaborate on why Sanbolic has not worked well?

Thanks
Post #1462777
Posted Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:50 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:32 AM
Does anyone have any input on the HP Database Consolidation Appliance for SQL Server?
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/us/en/partners/microsoft-database-consolidation-solution.html

(By copy to DH2i, DxConsole will be on the short list. Just doing preliminary research now.)
Post #1462785
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:36 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:54 AM
vedamaker (6/12/2013)

We are also considering Sanbolic. Can you elaborate on why Sanbolic has not worked well?

Thanks

Hi Vedamaker,

I am leading this project, and can say with some relief that we are about to start migrating 61 instances from our Polyserve cluster to our new SANBolic cluster. We have suffered a large number of delays to the project mainly due to issues with the product (some with our lack of understanding too) but I have to say that the support we have been given during this process has been excellent. We have been given dedicated support contacts and a constant stream of beta releases to fix issues we have been raising. Certainly much better HP!

I know this may scare a number of people away but one thing I would say is - 'Do a more intensive PoC than we did!' Ensure that you have a full suite of tests prepared beforehand and really kick the tyres before making your decision. Hopefully with the work we have done with SANBolic it will pass with flying colours.

I will try to update this forum when we hit milestones.

Cheers

Post #1470133
Posted Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:13 AM
Hello all,

Just wanted to draw a couple comparisons. First and foremost we at DH2i are very much Sanbolic Melio fans. We supply all of Melio FS and volume manager with our product (everything but applcluster). That said DH2i is more akin to the PolyServe SQL server solution pack and provides InstanceMobility® and QoS are at the instance level. All aspects of SLA management, mobility, patching, provisioning is at the instance level. We also provide a very easy to use migration tool call dxtransfer.

Sanbolic appcluster is all done at the db level and leverages detach attach in order to achieve DB mobility.

So what does this mean and what are the implications? Well for one you have to keep a very close eye to all dependencies at the DB level, logins need to be consistent, you need to ensure jobs won’t fail if you move it, how about encryption and keys? replication jobs?

All the issues that come with traditional attach detach.

Imagine a physical host with say 6 instances on it and 50-100 DB's per instance? If that host fails how complex is that on a failover scenario?

BTW DH2i's DxConsole installs ontop of Melio in about a 10 second install per node.

Happy to address any questions.

Regards and happy computing!

Carl Berglund
Director Sales DH2i

Post #1472242
Posted Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:00 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:54 AM
Carl,

We use Melio to underpin an MS SQL Cluster, and our pain points are around the this integration. However as I said this is very close to being resolved.

I would have preferred a more similar approach to the old Polyserve product to ease the migration and future admin but your product was little late to market and wasn't priced as competitively as Melio + MS Cluster.

Regards
Chris

Post #1472554
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse