Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

PolyServe replacement options Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 3, 2014 12:32 PM
We are actively looking at replacements now - what stinks is that we have to muddle ahead with implementing Polyserve for SQL at our DR facility as-is, wasting resources.
Post #1125294
Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:39 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 3, 2014 12:32 PM
I've gotten it running - the help PDF for the current release "PA_SQL_Server_Agent_Installer_User_Guide.pdf" has config info for Polyserve. I've used the Instance Alias for the sql server name rather than the "VirtualSQLServerName\InstanceName:portnumber" format and it has worked flawlessly. What stinks however is that each monitoring instance of the PA Agent service has to be installed as a separate service and on its own portnumber. So one PA Agent service instance+port for each SQL Server instance. Try keeping that straight with 48 instances, ugh!
I do run the repository off-cluster however on a separate standalone VM running SQL 2008 R2.

Post Attachments 
PA_SQL_Server_Agent_Installer_User_Guide.pdf (2 views, 1.27 MB)
Post #1125296
Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:23 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2014 1:09 PM
I should have added the kicker I learned from HP support. There need to be two batch files to start and stop the QuestLauncher (QAM Launcher) service when the instance starts or stops. The Quest manual mentions it, but I had to use "C:\WINDOWS\system32et.exe start QuestLauncher3566" instead of just "net start QuestLauncher3566" like the manual says. Maybe that is due to the 64-bit Windows server environment.
(I'm struggling with the text editor here. I just can't make my correction stick. Back slash 'n' must be a special code. The path should have "system32 [back slash] net.exe")

And yes, every instance has to have its own port number in spite of documents one can find on the HP web site that say multiple instances can use the same port. Maybe the fact that PS is sort of a cluster makes the difference.
Post #1125329
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:54 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:04 PM
I had heard from an HP employee(actually some sales guy) that the Polyserve is being retired....anybody know for sure? their website doesn't say much..

Post #1152748
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:32 AM
HP still has not made an announcement either way, I've been waiting since last year. I think June 2011(?) was the last time they were going to sell "new" licenses with 3 year support for them. I just renewed my licenses for one more year in hopes that by this time next year I know HP's direction. I have a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing and HP in general. We have a lot of instances tied up in this product and its going to be a nightmare to go another way (if I knew what way that would be?).
Post #1152794
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:09 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Thanks Tammy. Tell me about bad experience with HP....I worked with them for 3 years. Easily the worst part of my professional life. At no point did it hint that "people are its assets" and it shows in their products and services.

Post #1153028
Posted Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:16 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 2:36 AM
pareshmotiwala (8/2/2011)
I had heard from an HP employee(actually some sales guy) that the Polyserve is being retired....anybody know for sure? their website doesn't say much..

Thats correct same here sales could confirm they are not continueing polyserve. And support will end when SQL 2008 will go out of support irc. And they dont gonna patch polyserve for R2 of SQL 2008 because then they also need to support polyserve longer
Post #1153280
Posted Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:23 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:17 AM
Melio 3.5 is a good replacement option for Polyserve. More information at [url=http://www.sanbolic.com][/url]
Post #1155698
Posted Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:48 AM
SSC Journeyman

Thanks San-Man...

Post #1156789
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:38 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:10 AM
Check out DxConsole. Its a plug-replacement for PolyServe SQL
Post #1165844
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse