Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Creating templates for use in BIDS (SQL Spackle) Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:11 PM
LightVader (4/21/2011)
Is there an equally easy way to have the template on the network so all the developers in the company are using the same template (and it would only have to be updated once)?

Very good question... I'll look into it, and see if I can find anything.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1097001
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:06 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 11:36 AM
jcrawf02 (4/21/2011)
LightVader (4/21/2011)
Is there an equally easy way to have the template on the network so all the developers in the company are using the same template (and it would only have to be updated once)?
I used to use a .cmd file to copy templates and SQL Prompt snippets from a shared location to the local folder on login, you could do similar for this. See attached.

Also, Wayne, great article, been thinking about setting up a template for SSIS, so thanks!

If anyone is doing this for SSRS, consider using this in tandem with report styles in the database, a la Barry King (http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/reporting-services/reporting-services-with-style/). That way, you can have your template for the layout you want, and use the db to update the actual styles, or apply multiple styles, and change all reports by updating your db values. Very handy.

I really like the Barry King solution, I think I'll propose that one to my boss. I have to look into the other solution a little bit more. I'm sure I can get it to work for us, but we just had a virus issue so a lot of stuff is locked down right now.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.
Post #1097022
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:17 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
Great tips Wayne - thanks

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1097030
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:30 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:11 PM
gonsas (4/21/2011)
Samuel Vella (4/21/2011)
Nice article, very concise (as a Spackle should be I guess)

The reason for this is simple, renaming the file in the dialogue box will not change the object name. Waiting until afterwards will give you the option of automatically changing the object name to reflect the file name.

Nice tip!

I'd also add that, after adding the template package, one should use BIDS Helper to reset GUIDs

I just found this MS KB article that states, at the end,
Note We recommend that you generate a unique ID property value for the package to make analyzing log data easier. To generate a unique ID property value, click the ID in the Properties pane, and then click Generate New ID. If Generate New ID does not appear in the Properties pane, verify that the package properties appear in the Properties pane. If the properties for an item such as a connection manager or task appear in the Properties pane, Generate New ID is unavailable.

Edit: Here's another MS msdn link for making a PACKAGE template.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1097077
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:09 AM
WayneS (4/21/2011)

I just found this MS KB article that states, at the end,
Note We recommend that you generate a unique ID property value for the package to make analyzing log data easier. To generate a unique ID property value, click the ID in the Properties pane, and then click Generate New ID. If Generate New ID does not appear in the Properties pane, verify that the package properties appear in the Properties pane. If the properties for an item such as a connection manager or task appear in the Properties pane, Generate New ID is unavailable.

But BIDS Helper not only resets the package ID, but also all the tasks' and components' IDs as well (which also appear in the logs).

As mentioned in the BIDS Helper wiki page "Reset GUIDs" feature, this prevents some weird errors from happening.
Post #1097084
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:44 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:58 PM
Very nice article Wayne, thank you. Perfect spackle.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1097161
Posted Friday, April 22, 2011 6:58 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:35 AM
I have been using report templates for some time. I didn't know it was possible to make a package template for SSIS. Thanks. You also mention it is possible for report models and SSAS projects. Great tips thanks.
Post #1097421
Posted Friday, April 22, 2011 5:45 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
Looks like the discussion is taking on some great content as well.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1097673
Posted Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:34 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:23 PM
Good info . . . thanks!

Mike
MacroTrenz.Com
LinkedIn
Post #1097743
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 3:22 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 10:08 AM
Good to know, thank you Wayne!

Post #1526629
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse