Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Do we do enough? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:29 PM
My co-workers do know the local user group and the three SQL Saturdays hosted by the group exist. They are either too busy to attend or don't want to attend. Then again they learn just barely enough SQL Server to get the job done, so there's not much point in forwarding emails or posting meeting notices any more. Not even the lure of free food and give-aways can entice them from the couch.
Post #1094807
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011 7:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:53 AM
I think technical recruiters would be a good avenue to disseminate the word as it would benefit both parties. It gives the technical recruiter a good reason to call their contacts that work with SQL and those that may not be on the necessary mailing lists, visit social networking sites often, etc. would be notified of the upcoming free training opportunities.

David R Buckingham
SQL Server DBA/developer

David R Buckingham, MCSA, MCDBA
Post #1094954
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011 10:11 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:33 PM
Pushing it within our teams (and non-technical social groups if we have SQL folks in those groups) is about the only way I can think of. I found out about the SQL Server community through two of my team leads (after floundering on my own for 6 years or so) so I've been trying to make my newer teammates aware of it as well. For the longest time we had no training budget (and my personal training budget is pretty small due to things like mortgage payments ), so the free training options (user group meetings, webinars, and SQLSaturdays) were my only real way to learn aside from teaching myself out of books, and they're an excellent resource. I've been flooding my team with information in hopes of them getting connected too. At this point, the only ones who aren't taking advantage of the available opportunities are, like chrisn-585491 indicates, not interested.

Jennifer Levy (@iffermonster)
Post #1095113
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:52 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 1:04 PM
Speaking strictly about my own experience, when I became truly interested in seeking out additional training, I found it relatively easily. Searching for technical solutions led me to SSC, and once I wanted to really get better at my job, I started reading articles, editorials, and forums. It's possible to better advertise training events, but those who put forth an effort to find it will find it.
Post #1095824
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:56 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:08 PM
Doug Lane (4/19/2011)
Speaking strictly about my own experience, when I became truly interested in seeking out additional training, I found it relatively easily. Searching for technical solutions led me to SSC, and once I wanted to really get better at my job, I started reading articles, editorials, and forums. It's possible to better advertise training events, but those who put forth an effort to find it will find it.

In the same train of thoughts :

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sql+server+training
Post #1095826
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:06 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
I know there are free (and not-free) training events available in my area. Many of them are aimed at a level I'd be better off teaching than studying, but there are others that I could definitely benefit from.

And Lord knows, I spend a LOT of time in the SQL community in one capacity or another. (About to submit another article to this site, for example.)

But I still don't make it to the SQL events, mainly because I'm already so swamped with all of the other things I do in life. I give blood, I volunteer time around the community, I do all kinds of charity/community events with my church, I help out with "underprivileged schools", and so on. If I have to choose between learning a piece of SQL Server, and helping a couple of hundred kids get free innoculations so they can attend public schools, I don't have a decision to make, because it's already been decided which I'm going to do.

And that also means the free time I get (not much) is spent with my wife and my dogs. Again, no contest when it comes to that decision.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1095837
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse