Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Do we do enough? Expand / Collapse
Author

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:10 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Do we do enough?

Veni Vidi Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around
Post #1094549
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:37 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:21 AM
I joined a website about developers and SQL users group in South Africa but hadn't heard from them in a long time. Then I also have to say that I have been so busy the last couple of months that I could not spent as much time in the community as I'd like to. So, if anyone know of any events in South Africa please let me know.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #1094584
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 7:06 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
Manie Verster (4/17/2011)
I joined a website about developers and SQL users group in South Africa but hadn't heard from them in a long time. ... So, if anyone know of any events in South Africa please let me know.

Oh come on.....

I know I've given you the usergroup URL more than once. The mailing list is self-signup, so if you want to be contacted (and I send out a invite every single month and I have since the usergroup started) you don't need to contact anyone or depend on anyone to do it for you.

http://www.sqlusergroup.co.za/
Or, if you're on the East Rand
http://erddug.new-heights.co.za/

Or if you are for some reason in Cape Town
http://www.sqlcape.org.za/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1094592
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:44 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:00 AM
I joined a website about developers and SQL users group in South Africa but hadn't heard from them in a long time. Then I also have to say that I have been so busy the last couple of months that I could not spent as much time in the community as I'd like to. So, if anyone know of any events in South Africa please let me know.

Don't worry about it Gail, he's just giving himself an excuse to not do anything and have a reson not to go. Seen it 1000 times over the years. Nothing wrong with it, just let him go.
Post #1094601
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:08 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Ninja's_RGR'us (4/17/2011)

Don't worry about it Gail, he's just giving himself an excuse to not do anything and have a reson not to go. Seen it 1000 times over the years. Nothing wrong with it, just let him go.

The not attending is fine. I'm not going to force anyone to attend. What I don't like is the implication that I'm not doing my part as one of the usergroup leads in keeping people informed.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1094602
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 10:46 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:21 AM
Then I also have to say that I have been so busy the last couple of months that I could not spent as much time in the community as I'd like to.

If you guys would READ you would have seen that I said I have been very busy and not so active in the community. Touchy feely here now.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #1094608
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:14 AM

SSC-Forever

If you guys would READ you would have seen that I said I have been very busy and not so active in the community.

I did read. It doesn't change the fact that I have given you the usergroup URL before (on this forum when you previously mentioned that you didn't know of any usergroups in JHB) and that the registration for the mailing list is on that site and that notifications have been going out every month. Fairly close to the event sometimes I admit, I'm hellishly busy at the moment.

Gail Shaw

Post #1094610
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:12 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:00 AM
Then I also have to say that I have been so busy the last couple of months that I could not spent as much time in the community as I'd like to.

If you guys would READ you would have seen that I said I have been very busy and not so active in the community. Touchy feely here now.

That's called a story. The problem is that you are telling it fooling yourself. And only yourself with it.

If you don't want to do more of "it" that's fine, just don't make excuses and assume your choice instead of blaming it on circumstances.
Post #1094616
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 1:57 PM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:10 AM
I want to make it really clear that I'm not suggesting that UG leaders, event organizers, etc. aren't already doing tremendous work. They really are, and they're reaching a great audience. Likewise, I wasn't trying to start a debate about / involving people who are connected (& being a member of SSC counts), but who don't make it to events for whatever reason. We at least know that we (as a community) can reach those people, and what's niggling are the known & unknown unknowns.

On the flip-side, this probably isn't a 100% ideal place to ask where your nearest UG meeting is, although if there's nowhere else you feel you can ask, then I guess here's as good a place as any, for the time being.

EDIT: I meant that I wasn't thinking about people who are connected *and know that events are taking place* when I wrote the editorial. If people are online & have no idea that free events are taking place, then they're also people that we are somehow not reaching (the known unknowns, if you like, with unknown unknowns being people who are not connected at all).

Veni Vidi Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around
Post #1094642
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:16 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
I know this sounds very silly, but offering food & (soft) drinks is a very easy and effective way to entice people to events. Especially ones in the evening. Techies love a pizza and coke. Get your local Microsoft rep to pay for it

James Stover, McDBA
Post #1094677
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse