Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

The Job Posting - Do I really have to be the SQL God? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:11 AM
fname lname-1111520 (4/14/2011)
Craig Farrell (4/14/2011)
fname lname-1111520 (4/13/2011)
I get it: "then", "than", "there's", "there are". Stop reading (and I did), it can't be coherent.

Huh? Could you specifically quote where you found this incoherent for those reasons? I fear you've confused the heck out of me here.

Edit: even stranger, that post was at 10:38 PM before the article released. wha?

I'm sorry to say there isn't a big enough facepalm emoticon for the current state of job advertising in our industry. You're competing with employers looking for the most bang for their buck, HR firms/departments who know as much about tech as most techies know about oil rig equipment, local laws regarding job duty requirements, Visa (not the credit card) Renewal laws, and consulting/hiring firms who know more buzzwords then technology. They've had more practice at this then you probably have, and it can be difficult figuring out what's good and what's not.

Let's review a concept I brought up in my previous article before we get started. For SQL Server, there's 5

"then" and "there's"... I didn't find it incoherent. I claimed "it can't be coherent". If I were reviewing resumes, you go in the Engrish pile.

That's IT? That's your whole beef with this article? BWAAA-HAAAAA!!!! Please drive through.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1093365
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:37 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:33 AM
I get it: "then", "than", "there's", "there are". Stop reading (and I did), it can't be coherent.

Oink? You stop reading a technical article about some (minor) grammar issues that 90% of the entire world wouldn't notice?
You must be missing a lot...

On topic: great article Craig. I get frustrated a lot with those job postings of HR/consultancy firms who don't know what the technical content is, so they'll just add some buzzwords. And demand that you speak at least 3 languages fluently, be proficient in at least 5 different domains in IT (which aren't necessarilly linked) and that you are a workaholic. And you can't have more than 3 years of experience, or you're too expensive.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1093366
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:40 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:11 AM
Koen Verbeeck (4/14/2011)

Oink? You stop reading a technical article about some (minor) grammar issues that 90% of the entire world wouldn't notice?

On topic: great article Craig. I get frustrated a lot with those job postings of HR/consultancy firms who don't know what the technical content is, so they'll just add some buzzwords. And demand that you speak at least 3 languages fluently, be proficient in at least 5 different domains in IT (which aren't necessarilly linked) and that you are a workaholic. And you can't have more than 3 years of experience, or you're too expensive.

Don't forget two written referrals from two living Presidents. Sorry... did I spell that correctly?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1093367
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:44 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:53 AM
Jeff Moden (4/14/2011)

Don't forget two written referrals from two living presidents.

Is that one referral per president or two from each? If you can't write clearly, I might dismiss your whole post as incoherent.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #1093370
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:49 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:33 AM
Jeff Moden (4/14/2011)

Don't forget two written referrals from two living Presidents. Sorry... did I spell that correctly?

Ah, thanks for correcting me
Now my post is more coherent

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1093372
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:50 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:40 AM
Ok I am English from England with a B grade A-Level in English Literature (ok a few years ago, but not that many).

I didn't notice the errors immediately.. but I do to tend to gloss read articles. Then I had to read it again to find the mistakes, which was less than I expected from the moan.

Nice article. I am more than happy.

Post #1093373
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:12 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:52 PM
Craig, thank you very much for the article. This would be very helpful for most of us.

I have seen many job postings which requires people knowledgebale in other database products as well like Oracle, Sybase etc.

Would it be preferable for SQL Server professionals who are working as Administrators to start learning about adminstrating other database products (Oracle, DB2 etc) or should we start learning T-SQL development, SSRS etc.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1093377
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:28 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:39 AM
Thanks Craig, really great article about an issue that should concern all professionals. It is very frustrating to see some of the job ads, asking for a lot and trying to figure out what the heck they really looking for .

O boy, I hope my grammar is ok .

Cheers
Post #1093386
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:06 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
majorbloodnock (4/14/2011)
Jeff Moden (4/14/2011)

Is that one referral per president or two from each? If you can't write clearly, I might dismiss your whole post as incoherent.

No, of course it isn't. It's two written referals each signed by two living presidents, and since you don't get to use the same president more than once that requires the signatures of four living presidents in all; after all, no-one is going to ask for two references from the same two people, are they?

Either that or Jeff has taken to witing very unclearly

Tom
Post #1093398
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:17 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:53 AM
Tom.Thomson (4/14/2011)
majorbloodnock (4/14/2011)
Jeff Moden (4/14/2011)

No, of course it isn't. It's two written referals each signed by two living presidents, and since you don't get to use the same president more than once that requires the signatures of four living presidents in all; after all, no-one is going to ask for two references from the same two people, are they?

Either that or Jeff has taken to witing very unclearly

Nah. Nothing wrong with Jeff's clarity. I'm just exercising my right to be wilfully obtuse whenever it serves my facetiousness best.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #1093400
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse