Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««89101112»»»

The Job Posting - Do I really have to be the SQL God? Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:02 PM
alen teplitsky (4/18/2011)
a lot of the listings are fake and are just head hunters looking for resumes for their database

Ah, now there's something I've also noticed: the same job description popping up week after week, month after month. A position seemingly never to get filled. That's a red flag in it's own right.

Steve.
Post #1095390
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011 9:24 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
Fal (4/18/2011)
alen teplitsky (4/18/2011)
a lot of the listings are fake and are just head hunters looking for resumes for their database

Ah, now there's something I've also noticed: the same job description popping up week after week, month after month. A position seemingly never to get filled. That's a red flag in it's own right.

Steve.

Job boards like Dice and Monster have devolved into resume harvesting/aggregation services. So, I don't even bother with job boards anymore. I leverage my network - mainly via LinkedIn. Let them find you. Make them earn their keep.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #1095394
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:06 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:41 PM
Great article Craig! I've been put off by job postings that have the SQL God requirement in the past. I'll never look at job postings in the same light again.

How about the jobs that list a bunch of SQL Server skills and then add .Net? What the heck to they mean by that?
Todd Fifield
Post #1097139
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:14 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Thursday, November 27, 2014 4:23 AM
tfifield (4/21/2011)
Great article Craig! I've been put off by job postings that have the SQL God requirement in the past. I'll never look at job postings in the same light again.

How about the jobs that list a bunch of SQL Server skills and then add .Net? What the heck to they mean by that?
Todd Fifield

I had one just like that this week. They clearly need a senior for the role and they know it. All admin stuff all the way, very clear and well presented, then at the end they add 3 years .net web dev .

ADMIN <> web DEV
Post #1097145
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:49 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:26 PM
tfifield (4/21/2011)

Todd Fifield

One of two things usually. First is the good reasoning: They want someone who's at least done SOME programming so they can talk to the coders intelligently, even if they can't do their job. The other is they want an actual coder who can do all these SQL tasks as well, because they don't realize the workload or expertise is different.

Sadly, the latter of those is the more common. It really only works in very tiny shops that don't have a lot of work in general, or they need the rare change to the interface/software but mostly they need the data maintained.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1097194
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:56 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Ninja's_RGR'us (4/21/2011)
tfifield (4/21/2011)

Todd Fifield

I had one just like that this week. They clearly need a senior for the role and they know it. All admin stuff all the way, very clear and well presented, then at the end they add 3 years .net web dev .

ADMIN <> web DEV

I hate those. "We need x, but we want the kitchen sink." I call them shotgun postings (among other, less savory names). You can tell they dang well need an *X* person. They still slam everything on the wall hoping to find someone it'll all stick to for 1/2 the price of the guy who ONLY does what they really needed in the first place.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

Post #1097196
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:04 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Sometimes in large organizations - particularly government - you will see jobs advertised with very specific skills and experience. I've never been able to prove this, but I am almost certain these jobs are written for either 1) the person already in the job who has to re-apply for whatever reason or 2) the person who already works, wants the job and is required to apply the job along with everyone else. Basically, the manager writes the job spec so that nobody else other than the person they want in the job is qualified. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that I'm certain it happens.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #1097313
Posted Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:13 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:08 PM
Yep, seen that in CA State positions often.
Post #1097332
Posted Friday, April 22, 2011 11:57 AM

SSCertifiable

James Stover (4/21/2011)
Sometimes in large organizations - particularly government - you will see jobs advertised with very specific skills and experience. I've never been able to prove this, but I am almost certain these jobs are written for either 1) the person already in the job who has to re-apply for whatever reason or 2) the person who already works, wants the job and is required to apply the job along with everyone else. Basically, the manager writes the job spec so that nobody else other than the person they want in the job is qualified. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that I'm certain it happens.

A perfect example of what I've nicknamed a "Job for Bob" scenario. I personally usually see these in Visa Renewal situations, but the government doing it too doesn't surprise me.

- Craig Farrell

Post #1097556
Posted Friday, April 22, 2011 10:20 PM
SSC Veteran

Craig Farrell (4/22/2011)
James Stover (4/21/2011)

A perfect example of what I've nicknamed a "Job for Bob" scenario. I personally usually see these in Visa Renewal situations, but the government doing it too doesn't surprise me.

"Job for Bob". I like it!

James Stover, McDBA
Post #1097695
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««89101112»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse