Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

If you could stop working tomorrow, would you still do SQL? Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:31 PM
I have a number of interests outside the SQL world, classical and jazz music being some of them. Even then, I would probably tinker around SQL Server and Visual Studio (or whatever they might call it in the eventual years) keeping my development skills as sharp as 'enlightened' age can .
Post #1081029
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 1:07 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 5:20 AM
I'd definately travel the world, wacht all those series I wanted to see, play all those games I've wanted to play, but after a few months/years, when the boredom kicks in, I think I would go back to work. With SQL BI of course

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1081098
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 2:07 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 2:39 AM
I'd be using MySQL and writing WordPress plugins for my hobby web sites but even then I find SSIS such a useful tool that I can't see me getting away from it completely. I would love to get away from formal paid work as an employee but maybe do the odd little web site or database job for a friend as a freelance. Otherwise I've too many hobbies to want to go to work.
Post #1081113
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 3:35 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 3:11 AM
I'm a budding iPhone developer. Specifically, I like to build games. So, all being well, that would be what I would do if I could give up the day job. However, I'd choose SQLite as the storage mechanism because SQL is, well, so fundamentally cool.
Post #1081136
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 5:29 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:19 AM
I think you're all sad, and need to get a life (only joking)

If I could give up work, I'd be overjoyed at not having to touch SQL ever again.

I don't dislike working with it, but there are so many other things I would prefer to spend my life doing.

I take bitbucket's point about an active mind staving off Alzhimers, but I think there are more enjoyable ways than SQL of keeping the mind active.

Post #1081181
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 6:26 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:10 PM
It would be a hobby, something I'd continue to play around with.
Along with Sharepoint and Cubes.
But I have to admit, I'd spend more time out on the water.
And enjoy life with less pressures and deadlines.

Greg E
Post #1081213
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 6:40 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:28 AM
I can't say I would use SQL Server as I would probably use one of the open source databases (Most likely PostgreSQL) in my own projects due to price.

But overall I would use SQL for the retrieval/updating of data. SQL is the best domain specific language for data retrieval/manipulation in a relational database that I have come across as of yet. I find it much more expressive than a procedural/object oriented language for data operations. Although, I think the LINQ is a step in the right direction (though for me it is harder to use than pure SQL, even as the expressions look a lot like SQL).

I would not use SQL for business logic, file management, string manipulation, etc. pretty much anything but data retrieval/updating....otherwise it tends to end up a big mess..... Transact-SQL and even Oracle's PL/SQL are crippled compared to almost any object oriented language. Far too many businesses running SQL Server want to put everything in stored procedures, even stuff that shouldn't be. Really there is only so much brain damage concatenating strings to xp_cmdshell and parsing the output for file manipulation that I can take, especially when Java has such a simple, easy to use File class with more controlled error conditions. With the various libraries/facilities for abstractions/string manipulation abilities in most programming language like Java/.NET/Python/Perl/Ruby/etc. I would use them for everything but data retrieval/updating. CHARINDEX, PATEINDEX are pathetic next to the regular expressions in any one of those languages...

Currently with business logic on all the systems I have seen, you end up either with highly efficient cut and paste code all over the place (since if you try to put common expressions in UDF you get a huge performance penalty) or a mass of UDF upon UDF and various stored procedures that add layers of inefficiencies. Even if you do stored procedures right and keep things set oriented, you end up having to build temp tables prior to calling the procedures, or have a ton of process keyed tables to keep track of when calling stored procedures. Also, if you really make functionally cohesive stored procedures, then you have to make multiple passes over a dataset (for example if you have 10 formulas and one procedure for each formula that is 10 passes over the same dataset). If you go the more efficient day with one pass, you end up with one super stored procedure perhaps with many parameters to select which formula to use...but for maintenance this is a horrible situation as now you have 10 reasons to change this one procedure... Procedural and Object Oriented languages are much better at abstracton/code re-use and to me a heck of a lot more maintainable. Really I would abandon SQL for all "off label" uses and the maintenance headache they cause.

Going forward, I would probably create a business rules library in an object oriented language for database access that uses dynamic SQL strings (with parameters to protect against SQL injection of course...). Most likely, I would use Python/Ruby for most things and Java where performance matters for all my business logic/file/string manipulation needs. I might even try to make some iPad/iPhone applications, in which case I will be using SQL to query SQLite. I will definitely play more with NoSQL based solutions as well, however I would almost bet a million dollars that SQL will be around for years to come, and I will be using it and relational databases for my data storage needs well into the next 50 years....

Definitely if I didn't need to work, I could produce quality applications on my own schedule and focus on quality and doing it right. But also if there is brain damage to maintain the application, then I won't do it on my own because it will be too much like my past employment....
Post #1081227
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 7:00 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:17 AM
Yes I'd probably continue to do SQL but I'd probably choose to do much more coding (espcially C++).

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1081248
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 7:12 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:15 AM
Of course, but not 40 hours / week.!
Post #1081261
Posted Monday, March 21, 2011 7:13 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:48 AM
My own $0.02, I don't think I'd likely use it anymore.

I like SQL just fine, it's a great tool and I enjoy using it where it works but under the scenario described, I'm out.

I'd spend a lot more time with my kids, as well as cycling, kayaking and travelling, probably learn to sail and drive a rally car.

I really don't see being hands-on with any specific computer technology at that point.

Cheers!
Post #1081263
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse