Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

If you could stop working tomorrow, would you still do SQL? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:34 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item If you could stop working tomorrow, would you still do SQL?
Post #1080871
Posted Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:23 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, December 21, 2012 1:46 AM
I probably would play around with it. During one layoff period I built a soduku solver. I'm disappointed in performance, (two minutes to find the same three results I had come up with by hand in a lot more time.) but also not surprised because of the IO needed. I suspect it would take much less time in C# because you can do customized eliminations. (pick the numbers with the least degrees of freedom first, then do the same with the new set, etc.) C# would be much better as a designer.
Post #1080903
Posted Saturday, March 19, 2011 5:11 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:43 PM
I would accept a teaching position. That's something I am looking forward to when I (sort of) retire. If I had total financial freedom, I could do it now.
Post #1080925
Posted Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:12 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:11 AM
YES!!!!

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1080930
Posted Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:01 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Saturday, November 8, 2014 6:58 PM
I would definitely continue with SQL. Often times we get engrosed in the day-to-day. But I think 98% of us first emerged in the SQL scene based on one thing...interest in this fascinating technology. It most likely wasn't because of the need for a paycheck, although that was a comforting side effect. What first entrigued us (well I can speak for myself) about SQL has only been fortified by a career, but not diminished. Only elevated.

Just my $0.02

Twitter: @SQLife
Email: sqlsalt(at)outlook(dot)com
Post #1080932
Posted Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:27 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:11 AM
@trstringwer- excellent, and very well said!

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1080937
Posted Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:16 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
No. I would study to be a pilot. Then buy a plane and fly myself around the world. Forget sailing!

James Stover, McDBA
Post #1080949
Posted Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:29 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:29 PM
Actually, I have stopped working: I retired.

I started with Sql 4.21. My last install, for pay, was 2008. For the last 10+ years I have had a home network where I would test what I couldn't at work. My wife and I travel a couple of times a year, but we mostly hang around home. I've tried hobbies, photography, model planes, but enjoy working with Sql. Must be in my DNA. On occasion I help out friends, that are still working, just to stay busy.

There's just so much TV I can watch.
Post #1080961
Posted Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:26 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:23 PM
I started with SQL (Oracle 5.0) in 1989 and got hooked quickly. I am amazed with the new VERBS and methods you can now do, but for the most part it still consistently the same. I would go through some "withdrawals" and would have to slowly move away - such an addiction. I would like to teach and share all my depth of knowledge but I must first complete my MBA.
Post #1080984
Posted Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:16 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, November 6, 2014 1:00 PM
"Tomorrow morning, you wake up and find you have enough money never to have to work another day.

Retired 3 years ago, after having been first introduced to databases via a relational DB utilized by Hewlett Packard. Developed in that ancient, oh so ancient technology, a complete General Ledger Accounting System. And then on to SQL 6.5 those many long years ago marveling at its strengths to do what I had done in a relational DB. Now keep active here an at home with SQL 2005/2008 for the shear joy of it.

Many years ago read an article in a British Medical journal, (the Lancet, if memory does not fail me). To wit, an active mind reduces the chances of suffering from old age diseases such as Alzhimers. And so with that element I consider learning and using T-SQL as a form of medication (self prescribed and hence inexpensive).

But most importantly ... It is fun

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1080998
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse