Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Question of the Day for 19 Mar 2004 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the Question of the Day for 19 Mar 2004 posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/testcenter/qod.asp?QuestionID=207.
Post #106978
Posted Friday, March 19, 2004 6:46 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:51 PM

MSDN seems to indicate that rsreportserver.config is the file that contains this setting.   See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/rsadmin/htm/arp_configserver_v1_4bzl.asp

It appears that rswebapplication.config just tells Report Services that there is an e-mail extension installed but it does not specify the SMTP server.

Post #107048
Posted Friday, March 19, 2004 9:27 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 4:02 PM

In the Reporting Services books online, under "Configuring a Report Server for E-Mail Delivery", and under "RSReportServer Configuration File Settings", it states:

"The following settings are in the rsreportserver.config configuration file. " 

The first setting in the table is for "SMTP server" and its description is: 

"Specifies a string value indicating the address of the mail server. An alternative way to specify the SMTP server is through an IP address."

I also checked my installation of reporting Services and found my Email server listed in the rsreportserver.config file, not in the rswebapplication.config file.

The entry in rsreportserver.config looks like this:

Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.EmailDeliveryProvider.EmailProvider,ReportingServicesEmailDeliveryProvider">
    <MaxRetries>3</MaxRetries>
    <SecondsBeforeRetry>900</SecondsBeforeRetry>
    <Configuration>
     <RSEmailDPConfiguration>
      <SMTPServer>exchsrv1</SMTPServer>

Am I missing something here or are none of the answers correct?

Post #107103
Posted Friday, March 19, 2004 9:44 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:03 PM

Yep, we are all correct.  I finally found it and it is definitely the RSReportServer Configuration File where the SMTP server name/address is specified.  The fact that the default delivery is specified in rswebapplication.config file is irrelevant.

completely blatantly WRONG!  Fork over the points please...

Post #107107
Posted Friday, March 19, 2004 10:24 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:56 AM
From http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/rsdepgd.mspx

Configuring E-Mail Delivery

Report Server includes an e-mail delivery extension for report delivery. Initial e-mail configuration takes place during setup. To make changes after setup, you will need to edit the following configuration files:

RSReportServer.config includes settings used for processing and delivery.

RSWebApplication.config includes settings to initialize subscription pages in Report Manager.

The answer is partially correct.  RSWebApplication.config  is part of the puzzle but as pointed out you must configure RSReportServer.config as well.  Since RSReportServer.config  contains the actual name of the SMTP server one might conclude this is an even more important file.

However looking at the list of answers its obvious to me which is the most correct but as pointed out it certainly isn't the whole story and its easy to conclude the "best answer" of the choices given is not complete.  Too bad there wan't a 6th answer saying "none of the above by itself will fix the issue" .  That's a problem with multiple choice, you can only pick the best of the bunch not necessarily the best answer.

Francis
Post #107116
Posted Friday, March 19, 2004 10:30 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:51 PM

The question said that you "you did not specify the correct mail server". 

In order to change that, you'll have to change RSReportServer.config. 

Is there some reason to change RSWebApplication.config? 

If not, then the given answers were all wrong.

Post #107119
Posted Friday, March 19, 2004 12:23 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, November 1, 2004 11:03 AM

We do not have RS, so I have to Google when the QOD is about RS.  Google led me to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/rsdepgd.mspx, which leads me to think that the correct answer is at least somewhat correct.  Unfortunately, I didn't Google first, and I missed the points anyway. 

Tomas

Post #107145
Posted Friday, March 19, 2004 9:43 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:41 PM

Actually the "correct" answer is the closest to being correct (which is why I chose it).  However, all the initial posts in this thread are right... it is indeed RSReportServer.config that needs to be modified.

In some circumstances RSWebApplication.config may also need to be changed, but the text of the question indicates that you've already decided on e-mail delivery, therefore in this case it needs no change.

Cheers,
- Mark
Post #107228
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:23 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:21 AM
Oldie but a goodie.
Post #1390009
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse