Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««34567

Use of Identity Property to Resolve Concurrency Issues Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:22 PM
I came to add exactly the same point - SCOPE_IDENTITY() would guarantee that the just-inserted rows' newly-generated IDENTITY value would be unique.
Post #1435680
Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:11 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:56 PM
alishahryar (3/26/2013)
I came to add exactly the same point - SCOPE_IDENTITY() would guarantee that the just-inserted rows' newly-generated IDENTITY value would be unique.

As mentioned earlier, the scope_identity function has been known to generate incorrect values at times (when queries make use of parallel execution plans). Refer to this link for more information --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019779

Ajit Ananthram
Blog - http://ajitananthram.wordpress.com
Post #1435705
Posted Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:19 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:22 PM
OK, that's good information regarding the bug affecting @@IDENTITY and SCOPE_IDENTITY(). According to the article you provided, the bug is fixed in 2008 R2 SP 1 and above. Thanks for pointing this out.
Post #1435706
Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:05 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:43 AM
NBSteve: Wow. That was so kind of you to take the time to write that out. Not wordy in the slightest. Instead, it was *clear.* I greatly appreciated it!

(Also thank you to the original author. I enjoy articles that explains a person's process/thinking. And also thank you to Paul for posting your interesting solution.)
Post #1440610
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««34567

Permissions Expand / Collapse