Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Use of Identity Property to Resolve Concurrency Issues Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:36 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:33 PM
Yes, I agree that there will be gaps in the sequence and also multiple users might update the same record. But don't you think the gaps would any way be there if for instance a sequence is used (as a feature of Sql Server 2011) as the first choice by the author and later on the transaction is rolled back.

So, I would not consider that having gaps in this case an issue which also moots the problem of updating the same record by multiple users.

My main focus was on removing the blocking issue.
Post #1068774
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:42 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 10:55 PM
I also use SCOPE_IDENTITY();

Why would you need to waste memory using temp mem tables.
Post #1068778
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:13 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 6:19 AM
adam.everett (2/24/2011)
nice, good article never thought about how your could use vertical tables to solve that, and will also go and look at sequences in the next sql release!.

Can I ask why in the original code the lock on the kvp was required for the duration of the whole buniness transaction. Could they just not of got the required key values into some temps using some short transactions before the main long running business process transaction took place?

come to think about it, the kvp would not even need to be in a transaction if all they want is to increment a seed, a single update key statement to increment and at the same time assign the read value to a temp.

thanks

Thanks for your feedback Adam, and yes, you are right! If only all application developers also knew this! One of the main reasons I decided to use the architecture using Identities was so that I could put in place a method for deriving KVP values which would be independent of long running transactions.

The procedures written in the article are cutdown versions of the real business procedures, which were much more lengthier. They also had conditions in them after which KVP values were derived, or completely skipped.

But I take your point, ideally, the derivation of KVP values should be done outside transactions.

Ajit Ananthram
Blog - http://ajitananthram.wordpress.com
Post #1068796
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:23 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 3, 2011 8:43 AM
It opens up new way to solve the issue.

At the same time
There are two side-effect with this solution
1. We will end-up creating new table for each key.
2. There will be lot of dummy rows created, which needs to be cleaned periodically.
Post #1068802
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:32 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

stephen.lear (2/24/2011)
Does your solution really solve the issue?

What if the requirement was for no gaps in the key sequence? Doesn't using identities in this way lead to gaps in the key sequence if a transaction is rolled back.

There is often a requirement to keep a continuous sequence, such as when assigning invoice numbers, in which case the original USP was correct, but your replacement may lead to gaps in sequence.

True, using Identities in transactions means a rollback of the transaction will not rollback the incremented value. For the application I was working with, this was not an issue at all. As long as the value obtained was unique, there was no problem. The goal of this exercise was to improve the concurrency in the database.

Ajit Ananthram
Post #1068813
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:42 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:44 PM
I agree, why Dynamic SQL AND Output?
What about SCOPE_IDENTITY function?

Cheers
Post #1068818
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:04 AM
SSC Rookie

irozenberg (2/24/2011)
I agree, why Dynamic SQL AND Output?
What about SCOPE_IDENTITY function?

Cheers

In the application, there wasn't just one key. There were a few, and there were plans to put in many more in the future. To cope with this, I wrote the dynamic sql so that the stored procedure could insert and fetch the values for any given key.

The naming convention I used for the tables was tbl_vert_<key>, where <key> would be replaced by the name of the KVP key.

Agreed the output clause could have been avoided with a call to scope_identity().

Ajit Ananthram
Post #1068829
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:40 AM
But now you will have as many tables as you have keys in original table and, for each increment on some key, you will add a new register in the key-table... if you have thousands of increments by day, you will have thousands of new registers and only the last one is neccessary.
May be the solution could be:
CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[USP_Get_Value_For_Key]
(
@key NVARCHAR(50),
@value INT OUTPUT
)
AS
BEGIN
[color=#550000]begin transaction[/color]
SELECT @value = 0
UPDATE tbl_kvp SET column_value += 1 WHERE column_key = @key
SELECT @value = column_value FROM tbl_kvp WHERE column_key = @key
[color=#550000]commit tran[/color]
END

The outer procedures don't need to implement the transaction for get the last id.
Post #1068831
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:12 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 10:55 PM
arturmariojr (2/24/2011)
But now you will have as many tables as you have keys in original table and, for each increment on some key, you will add a new register in the key-table... if you have thousands of increments by day, you will have thousands of new registers and only the last one is neccessary.
May be the solution could be:
CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[USP_Get_Value_For_Key]
(
@key NVARCHAR(50),
@value INT OUTPUT
)
AS
BEGIN
[color=#550000]begin transaction[/color]
SELECT @value = 0
UPDATE tbl_kvp SET column_value += 1 WHERE column_key = @key
SELECT @value = column_value FROM tbl_kvp WHERE column_key = @key
[color=#550000]commit tran[/color]
END

The outer procedures don't need to implement the transaction for get the last id.

I like newbies :)
You can always correct their sql statments :)

UPDATE tbl_kvp SET
@value = column_value+1,
column_value = @value
WHERE column_key = @key

(that avoids need of "begin transaction")
Post #1068834
Posted Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:40 AM
Many thanks for correction -and they are always welcomed - but, if in the mean time you get the new value and goes to actually update the column, there no risk the database updates the column by other update command?
Artur
Post #1068842
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse