Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Why does SSIS take so long to "build" before running? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:38 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:12 AM
I have a ETL project that has about 15 packages in it, each package loads data into a SQL Server via delimited files. These individual packages are nothing fancy, small script to check if a file exists, a data-flow task that loads data from the file into the database (some having a few derived columns, some with none), a SQL script task (updating a table), and a delete file task.

When I press F5 to test a new change or right-click and choose "execute task" it takes several minutes for it to build and actually execute.

Is there some setting I can change to speed this up?

Post #1067890
Posted Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:45 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:48 PM
It's compiling and parsing all the components. You can see all the moving parts in the last tab (Execution Results/Progress), and take a look at timing. It'll help you see what in particular is taking the most time.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1067895
Posted Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:02 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Thanks for the reply Craig. This only shows the execution times and steps for everything "after" the build process completes...which runs exceptionally quick (< .5 secs)

It's the actual build that's taking several minutes.

Any ideas on the build aspect?

Post #1067909
Posted Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:11 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:48 PM
Serge Mirault (2/22/2011)
Thanks for the reply Craig. This only shows the execution times and steps for everything "after" the build process completes...which runs exceptionally quick (< .5 secs)

It's the actual build that's taking several minutes.

Any ideas on the build aspect?

Hm, another brainfart for me, you're right, it doesn't show times for the validation components.

Hrmmmm...

I assume you do see things like this, in particular the Validation component?

Task Data Flow Task 2
Validation has started (2)
Progress: Validating - 0 percent complete
Progress: Validating - 100 percent complete
Validation is completed (2)
Start, 1:44:44 PM
Finished, 1:44:44 PM, Elapsed time: 00:00:00.094

If some of those break down to 10% increments or the like, that'll be a hint. Also, in your Output tab (after you run it once), you'll see a dropdown that reads as debug. If you switch it to build, do you get anything other than:

Build started: SQL Integration Services project: Incremental ...
Build complete -- 0 errors, 0 warnings

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1067919
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 6:58 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
I have been searching for an answer to this also. I have a package that takes a few seconds to run. It outputs about a dozen rows to a CSV file. But it takes a minute or two for it to build before it starts running. Is there a way to reduce the build time?

I checked the output tab using the instructions in the previous comment. The result is below.

------ Build started: Project: SSIS development, Configuration: Development ------
Build started: SQL Server Integration Services project: Incremental ...
Build complete -- 0 errors, 0 warnings
========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Post #1541584
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 7:22 AM

Hall of Fame

This is a pretty old post, but the root cause of my issue was that I was opening the project from a Network location. Once I moved it locally to the server, it ran in seconds. Not sure if that applies to your scenario or not...

Post #1541594
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 8:11 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 7:58 AM
The other time consuming build activity in SSIS is when you're building a deployment utility on every build. Depending on how many packages in your solution this could potentially be causing your issue.

Typically when developing/testing in BIDS i'll keep the CreateDeploymentUtility property set to false, to reduce the response time from starting the debug run and the package actually starting.
Post #1541614
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 8:17 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. It's a minor inconvenience. It would be nice if the package would run without waiting two minutes for it to build.

The project is on a network drive because there are a few of us who develop packages in this project file. I have noticed that it takes more time to build as more packages are added to the project.

Also, I do have the deployment utility set to false.

Post #1541615
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 8:19 AM

Hall of Fame

I have no doubt that the network location is the issue. If you copy it locally and run it I would bet a round of beers that the issue goes away

Post #1541618
Posted Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:53 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:46 AM
Hi,

I agree with Pau Key and I would check the configuration of the solution.

Does your solution contain multiple projects?

You can check this post to see if it helps you:

Preventing projects from deploying when debugging a SSIS package

Kind Regards

Paul Hernández
http://hernandezpaul.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/paul_eng
Post #1543021
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse