Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Toys V. Tools Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:46 PM
I maintain the best tools were once toys.

:{>

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #1059248
Posted Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:48 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:37 PM
I just bought an iPad. Right now it's firmly in the category of toy. I do expect that is will become a useful tool, especially for writing.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1059263
Posted Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:49 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:17 PM
Bob Abernethy (2/4/2011)
This reminds me of the saying "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

I totally agree.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1059264
Posted Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:33 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:09 PM
majorbloodnock (2/4/2011)
Alan Vogan (2/4/2011)
....If it's fun, does it necessarily make it a toy?...

To my mind, no. I think it's just emphasis. If you're using the surfboard for exercise and fun is a spin-off benefit, it's a tool. If you're using it for fun and the health aspects are a spin-off benefit, it's a toy.

IMHO, of course...

TGIF!

Seconded.

So you're saying it is intent that defines them? It makes it very subjective. One man's toy is another man's tool, is another man's weapon?
Post #1059306
Posted Monday, February 7, 2011 1:26 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 6:00 AM
karyn.webb (2/6/2011)
majorbloodnock (2/4/2011)
Alan Vogan (2/4/2011)
....If it's fun, does it necessarily make it a toy?...

To my mind, no. I think it's just emphasis. If you're using the surfboard for exercise and fun is a spin-off benefit, it's a tool. If you're using it for fun and the health aspects are a spin-off benefit, it's a toy.

IMHO, of course...

TGIF!

Seconded.

So you're saying it is intent that defines them? It makes it very subjective. One man's toy is another man's tool, is another man's weapon?

Yes, absolutely.

I know we can classify (for instance) a Power Rangers doll as a toy since we expect most children will want to play with it. However, given to me, I'd reclassify it as "junk" because I will neither want it, nor like it, nor use it. Alternatively, a Harley Davidson is an excellent tool for state-wide travel given the distances involved, often in a straight line. However, in the far more congested UK it becomes far less practical, so would probably have to be considered a "big boy's toy" first.

Perhaps it would be simpler to look closer at the definitions. To my mind, any artificial aid to achieving an end is a tool. I see toys as simply a subset of tools where the end in sight is primarily enjoyment. For me, all toys are tools, but not all tools are toys.

I'll agree about the definition of "weapon" being somewhat subjective, too, sadly.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #1059382
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse