Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Rebuild SQL Server Master Databases in Less than 5 Minutes Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:44 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:08 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Rebuild SQL Server Master Databases in Less than 5 Minutes

Post #1057802
Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:43 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, January 6, 2014 1:47 AM
Awesome. Wish there could have been more than 5 *

Cheers,
Satnam
Post #1057860
Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:07 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:03 PM
Rudy,
The title of this article is really catchy.

Regarding this section: It's All Proactive
You are referring to a SQL Server instance which is running fine right?
I am assuming you are not copying from the instance which has db corruption.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1057863
Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:51 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:36 AM
Practically this is not possible. In production you can not stop and start the service everyday and changes occur to master datbase every day .
Post #1057871
Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:16 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:27 PM
Thanks for the article.

I personally was disappointed to find that it was not about rebuilding the master database as the title said it would be though...

MM

• MMGrid Addin
  • MMNose Addin

• Forum Etiquette: How to post Reporting Services problems
  • Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
  • How to Post Performance Problems - by Gail Shaw

• Post #1057880
    Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:25 AM
    Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, November 1, 2013 8:05 AM
    I was also disappointed. "Rebuilding" to me does not mean "restore from a file I copied earlier". In fact, thinking about it more, it would seem in this case that you had two backups, one on disk locally and one on tape. This is a great idea for disaster recover situations but had the restore from tape worked this whole secondary method would not be needed. In either case, tape or disk, we have not rebuilt the master database, we have restored it from backup.

I am happy to be corrected but I find the title of this article very misleading.
    Post #1057887
    Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:53 AM
    SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:21 AM
    M A Srinivas (2/3/2011)
    Practically this is not possible. In production you can not stop and start the service everyday and changes occur to master database every day .

you would not do this every day. you only need to do it when you apply a patch to SQL, and then there would be an outage anyway. I would also copy the msdb,model and importantly the resource database. The master database is bought up to date by restoring the latest backup as described in the process. BTW SQL needs to be started in single user mode to restore the master database.

This is a sensible addition to your DR strategy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1057926
    Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:10 AM
    SSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:52 AM
    i dunno, but this kinda sounds like a bad idea.
    i have previously rebuilded the master database to change server collation and it went through painlessly in no time.
    anything that would keep you from actually rebuilding the master database in case of corruption?

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself
    Post #1057968
    Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:44 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:57 PM
    I try and do this after a patch or when I know I have an outage window. It is always good to have an easy way to get SQL Server back to a somewhat stable state.

To all of those that are disappointed in this article.... All this article is pointing out is if master gets corrupted for any reason this is an easy way to get you back to a stable running SQL Server. That is all. It is not meant to be a daily occurance as no one can stop/start SQL Server on a daily basis in a production environment.

Post #1058005
    Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:35 AM
    Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:04 AM
    This will only apply in a small number of situations. The point of SQL Server providing high availabilty means this is not usually possible without a maintenance slot.

A useful tip rather than a "how to" in my opinion.
    Post #1058044
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse