Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

SSIS Properties Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:24 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 AM
Tom.Thomson (2/2/2011)
One can only wonder whether the authors are doing their best to confuse!

The MSDN/BOL/Etc.. says:
"However, you cannot use the /ConfigFile option to replace configured values that you also specified at design time."

Seems clear.
You can Add New Values, but you can not replace values that are added AND specified at design time.

Since you can add a property with no value at design and runtime, this makes things very clear to me. I would sudder to think how confused people would be if this change from the 2005 behavior was not documented at all.

Post #1057737
Posted Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:28 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

OCTom (2/2/2011)
A 50/50 shot on groundhog day. Good guess.

This was an awesome Groundhog Day question.
Post #1057741
Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:37 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 16, 2014 9:38 AM
Thanks for the question, things like this are what usually causes problems for people in an upgrade.
Post #1058227
Posted Friday, February 4, 2011 12:41 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:43 AM
The dtexec doc states the following:

You can use the /Set option to change the location from which package configurations are loaded. However, you cannot use the /Set option to override a value that was specified by a configuration at design time.

We want to do what the first sentence says. Using /Set can change the package configuration used by the package (similar to in 2005 we used the /CONFIG switch.)

But I cannot get the syntax correct, and I cannot find any examples out there. Here is our command:

dtexec /DTS "\MSDB\TestSET" /SERVER . /set \Package.Configuration[TestSetConfig].Properties[ConfigurationString];C:\SSISPackageConfigurations\testSET2_dtsConfig.xml

Can anyone see what we are doing wrong? I am guessing the propertyPath syntax is wrong (perhaps because Configuration is a collection?). Or are we mis-interpreting the MS docs?

thx,
jg
Post #1058965
Posted Friday, February 4, 2011 3:05 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 12:44 PM
Hi Gmby,

I don't override configurations at the command line, but what about pluralizing the package collection name: \Package.Configurations?

Andy

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #1059059
Posted Monday, February 7, 2011 8:30 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:43 AM
Thanks Andy, I've tried that. Still receive the same error message:

Description: The package path referenced an object that cannot be found: "\Package.Configurations[TestSetConfig].Properties[ConfigurationString]". This occur
s when an attempt is made to resolve a package path to an object that cannot be found.

I am really wondering if the docs are misleading. I cannot seem to find any examples. I wonder if we are the only ones using config files in this fashion? We have multiple test environments on one SQL instance (2005), so we use the /CONFIG switch to point to different XML package configurations at runtime.

Am going to test using tables for package configs with the /CON to change values at runtime. If that works and we cannot find the proper syntax, it might be the quickest refactoring effort for us to upgrade to 2008R2.

thx,
jg

Post #1059586
Posted Monday, February 7, 2011 9:13 AM
Ten Centuries

gmby (2/7/2011)
I cannot seem to find any examples. I wonder if we are the only ones using config files in this fashion?

I use them like this for every SSIS package in production becuase of JSOX and Change Control polices.

We have multiple test environments on one SQL instance (2005), so we use the /CONFIG switch to point to different XML package configurations at runtime.
Am going to test using tables for package configs with the /CON to change values at runtime. If that works and we cannot find the proper syntax, it might be the quickest refactoring effort for us to upgrade to 2008R2.

This is exactly why we are not using 2008 in production yet. Our JSOX and Change Control policy does not allow for re-writing or updating the package file when moving from Uat to Prod. We can update the configuration. Since the database and server names are differant in Prod and are set at design time this makes it a lot of fun.

I hope you find an answer. It would be nice to be able to start migrating/using SSIS on SQL 2008. This six year old VS2005 IDE is getting on my nerves
Post #1059640
Posted Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:09 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
I think the command line should always win. Good question - wish it still worked like 2005.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1060538
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse