Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

reset sa password Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 8:46 AM
sql2k8 (1/30/2011)
I don't have any other sysadmin account, i am an administrator on the machine . i am not sysadmin. I don't have any other accounts with sysadmin priviliges.I am trying to do this on sql server 2008 server

You are administrator on the box, but you have no administrator account to get into SQL Server, do I understand this correctly?

Do you have any account to be able to login into SQL Server? What permissions in SQL Server do you have?

If you are not a SQL Server Security Admin or SysAdmin, you may not be able to reset the SA password. Box Admin and SQL Server admin are not the same thing.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1056119
Posted Monday, January 31, 2011 6:20 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:22 AM
Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2011)
Box Admin and SQL Server admin are not the same thing.

They are if SQL is running in single user mode. Challenge appears to be to find what app is stealing the single connection.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1056131
Posted Monday, January 31, 2011 6:23 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 8:46 AM
GilaMonster (1/31/2011)
Box Admin and SQL Server admin are not the same thing.

They are if SQL is running in single user mode. Challenge appears to be to find what app is stealing the single connection.

Might not be an actual app. It may be a domain account that keeps trying to re-acquire the connection every time it gets disconnected or killed. We have a few of those around our place.

Wouldn't the security log give that information?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1056134
Posted Monday, January 31, 2011 6:27 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:22 AM
Wouldn't the security log give that information?

It might, though depending what else is on the box there may be too much noise in there to make sense.

If SQL is set to audit logins success as well as login failure, then the messages should appear in the output of the running SQL process (and in the error log)

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1056140
Posted Monday, January 31, 2011 7:01 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:11 PM
Run a network trace, see what tried to connect on 1434, or run a netstat from a command prompt. that should tell you what socket is open.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1056164
Posted Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:46 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Saturday, December 13, 2014 1:39 AM
I've found config manager opens a connection - kill it, restart sql service, try again
Post #1517693
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse