Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Abstract critique - T-SQL Code Sins Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 16, 2014 12:54 PM
Here is the abstract I've started submitting for SQL Saturdays and whatnot this year. Thoughts on the abstract? Would this make you want to come see the session?

T-SQL Code Sins: The Worst Things We Do to Code and Why

It's impossible to follow every best practice all the time. Code sins are those things we do to our code that are either so horrendous that they can't be borne, or that have such tremendous consequences that your stored procedures wish they'd never been created. Attendees will hear about the most common code sins that make code difficult to read, support, run and extend, and practical strategies for reversing the trend.

Thanks,
Jen
Post #1052451
Posted Monday, January 24, 2011 9:38 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:27 PM
The abstract is pretty good. It states your intention quite well.
But in the abstract, you are stating that you are going to provide how to reverse the mistakes you have already made. Maybe something regarding that should be on the topic? Something like "How to clean up the mess you have made" ? Just a suggestion.

-Roy
Post #1052493
Posted Monday, January 24, 2011 10:17 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:49 PM
I think it's good. Wish I could attend!
Post #1052525
Posted Monday, January 24, 2011 10:30 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:48 AM
What mistakes are you going to cover?
Post #1052539
Posted Monday, January 24, 2011 10:39 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Alan Vogan (1/24/2011)
I think it's good. Wish I could attend!

Thanks! I have a recorded Code Sins session up on my blog (http://www.midnightdba.com/Jen/articles/) but the 2011 version is much revamped. I'll put up a new recording sometime in February, probably.
Post #1052550
Posted Monday, January 24, 2011 10:42 AM
Valued Member

Roy Ernest (1/24/2011)
The abstract is pretty good. It states your intention quite well.
But in the abstract, you are stating that you are going to provide how to reverse the mistakes you have already made. Maybe something regarding that should be on the topic? Something like "How to clean up the mess you have made" ? Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Ninja's_RGR'us
What mistakes are you going to cover?

I cover a lot of ground, from "meta" problems (like format and documentation) to project problems. But the meat of the session is actual code: architecture, poorly tuned querying, and a good deal more.
Post #1052553
Posted Monday, January 24, 2011 7:40 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:23 AM
I'd be interested in attending. I do think it's slightly vague on what the attendee will be taking home. That's my one personal bugaboo. You've told me what it's about, but what will I get out of it? This one is almost there, but it doesn't quite get me all the way to the finish.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1052820
Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:14 AM
Valued Member

Grant Fritchey (1/24/2011)
I'd be interested in attending. I do think it's slightly vague on what the attendee will be taking home. That's my one personal bugaboo. You've told me what it's about, but what will I get out of it? This one is almost there, but it doesn't quite get me all the way to the finish.

Okay, excellent...will tack a "The attendee will" at the end. Thx!
Post #1053063
Posted Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:10 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:56 PM
It's pretty good. There are two things I'd say.

One, this part:

It's impossible to follow every best practice all the time. Code sins are those things we do to our code that are either so horrendous that they can't be borne, ...

they seem confusing. You are mention the bad things in the title, but then go to "best practices" and immediately drop it. I'd somehow link the idea that if we can't do the best, let's not do the worst.

The second thing is I'd like to see one or two concrete examples of what is bad. I don't think you want to surprise people with the items. Tell us a couple of the sins that you'll correct in this abstract so that the coder that does x or y, will come find out what they can do instead.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1053271
Posted Friday, March 4, 2011 7:59 AM
Valued Member

Last Login: Monday, May 19, 2014 7:34 AM
It was an AWESOME class!!!

I would leave the first sentence off.
Post #1073348
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse