Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««910111213»»

An Introduction to Database Design Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:49 PM
Excellent article overall.

These are extremely difficult concepts to introduce to people, and the article does a superb job of making the ideas accessible to anyone.

[I do think Alice should have mentioned something about the price changing later and that needing looked at later -- "Bob, if someone pays $10 today, and the price goes up to $12 tomorrow, if they return that item you don't want to give them $12 instead of the $10 they paid, do you?" That should get Bob's attention.]

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)
"In America, every man is innocent until proven broke!" Brant Parker
Post #1406095
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 8:46 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:35 PM
I wish I could make views keep my code formatting. Is there any way to do that?
Post #1406097
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 8:49 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Did the author ever write any followup articles? If so could you point me to them? This tutorial was originally published in January of 2011.
Post #1406100
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 9:01 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:33 PM
krowley (1/11/2013)
I need to figure out how to setup my SQL Server Management Studio to do intelisense then.

I have the management studio for SQL Server 2008 R2 installed but the database server is only running 2005 and the databases are mostly in 2000 compatibility mode. Does this make a difference?

Intelisense seems to work on my home computer with the same version of management studio, but I am working with 2008 version databases there.

It should work with the 2005, but maybe not with the 2000. Clicking and dragging will work with either.
One fun trick: Type SELECT and a space and then clock on the Columns folder under the table name and drag that to after SELECT. All the columns will be written out for you. A great way to replace * in production code.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1406113
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 9:02 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:33 PM
krowley (1/11/2013)
Did the author ever write any followup articles? If so could you point me to them? This tutorial was originally published in January of 2011.

Click on the author's name in the byline of the article. It will show you everything the author has written here.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1406115
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 9:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:57 PM
krowley (1/11/2013)

Not yet. Feel free to bother him

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1406127
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 11:59 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:12 PM
Stefan Krzywicki (1/11/2013)
krowley (1/11/2013)
I need to figure out how to setup my SQL Server Management Studio to do intelisense then.

It should work with the 2005, but maybe not with the 2000.

It will only work against SQL Server 2008 (and later) databases.
Post #1406214
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 12:06 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:12 PM
Paul,

A great introduction to the topic, thank you. I'm curious: is there a follow-up planned?

Things I liked were that you related the process of the design to solving a "real world" issue (although this did drop off, which I thought was a shame). You also skipped some of the more complex issues (natural versus surrogate keys springs to mind) which I personally thought was a good choice: it's far more important to get the concept of keys in place first.

I did find the whole Alice+Bob narration style a little trite... however, that style may work well for the intended audience, which I am well aware is not myself!

All-in-all, I felt it was an excellent introduction, and that you pitched it at exactly the right level; if anything, I felt you introduced a few rules very early that I would have put off for later, so kudos for you there!

Now, about that follow-up...
Post #1406216
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 12:20 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Bruce W Cassidy (1/11/2013)
Stefan Krzywicki (1/11/2013)
krowley (1/11/2013)

It should work with the 2005, but maybe not with the 2000.

It will only work against SQL Server 2008 (and later) databases.

Ok. That's a shame.

I can't upgrade to a later compatibility mode because the developers of the third party application used =* for a LOT of joins and I would have to go back and fix all of these myself which I don't have the time to do at the moment.
Post #1406223
Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 1:41 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:40 PM
Fantastic article. This is probably the simplest explanation of practical normalization I have read in a long time.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Post #1406249
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««910111213»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse