Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««45678»»»

Creating a comma-separated list (SQL Spackle) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 12:05 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:11 AM
That is referring to the actual structure of the xml and not the retrieval of the data.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1070738
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 2:44 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:12 AM
Great! Thanks for the help on this. Sorry about the brain-fart on the 'value' thing, I was out all last week sick with vertigo so that's my excuse.
Post #1070851
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 2:46 PM

SSCoach

gregory.anderson (2/28/2011)
Great! Thanks for the help on this. Sorry about the brain-fart on the 'value' thing, I was out all last week sick with vertigo so that's my excuse.

No problem and you are welcome.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1070854
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 6:53 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
CirquedeSQLeil (2/28/2011)

Jason, thanks for covering me on this... this thread never popped up on the recent posts, and I didn't see any activity until I got home and could check the email...

Again, thanks!

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1070935
Posted Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:47 AM

SSCoach

WayneS (2/28/2011)
CirquedeSQLeil (2/28/2011)

Jason, thanks for covering me on this... this thread never popped up on the recent posts, and I didn't see any activity until I got home and could check the email...

Again, thanks!

NP

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Post #1071252
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 3:40 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Saturday, August 2, 2014 8:54 AM
This link also shares some useful information about generating comma/delimiter separated string.

-Vinay Pugalia
If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post.
Web : Inkey Solutions
Blog : My Blog
Email : Vinay Pugalia
Post #1377452
Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 4:22 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:58 PM
Sorry: didn't spot how old this was....

MM

• MMGrid Addin
  • MMNose Addin

• Forum Etiquette: How to post Reporting Services problems
  • Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
  • How to Post Performance Problems - by Gail Shaw

• Post #1377461
    Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 9:12 AM
    Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:16 AM
    This is great! I have been using the Coalesce function in a udf for this purpose, but this method is faster. I didn't use it as a correlated subquery, but I did replace the internals of my udf with the "For XML PATH" and it took a 3 second query for 10,000 records down to 1 second.

Thank you!

Post #1377667
    Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 1:09 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    That's great Ed!

... but 1 second is kinda slow for this method on 10,000 rows

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
    CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
    Post #1377802
    Posted Friday, October 26, 2012 2:24 PM
    Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:16 AM
    Yeah well I guess that is more a function of it using views on top of a COTS application database based on two primary tables Component and Relationship. The system is very flexible because you can create any type of component and subsequent relationships between them that you want but it does have a performance cost due to so many joins just to include component properties for instance. The query I am referring to is based on a view that already contains such other included properties and relationships.

The system is for capturing enterprise architecture components and relationships, so luckily the number of objects is relatively small.
    Post #1377846
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««45678»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse