Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Loading XML Data into SQL Server (SQL Spackle) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 1, 2011 11:44 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:04 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Loading XML Data into SQL Server (SQL Spackle)

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1041547
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 12:49 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:58 AM
I have to admit, I've not yet had to enter the realm of loading XML files. But now I know where to go for a quick reference. Thanks for filling in the cracks on this one, Wayne!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1041735
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 1:48 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:16 AM
WayneS (1/1/2011)
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!

It's a nice article. Can you explain why do you use the OpenRowset function to load the data into a staging table?

Kelsey Thornton
MBCS CITP
Post #1041738
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 3:28 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 3:08 PM
I wonder what others are doing about doing an example like this when the XML is from a web service. I run into that more often then XML files. I tend to write C# as a separate application, but are db pros accessing plain old XML web services in the CLR of SQL Server. I would like to see an example like that.
Post #1041753
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 7:46 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Kelsey Thornton (1/3/2011)
WayneS (1/1/2011)

It's a nice article. Can you explain why do you use the OpenRowset function to load the data into a staging table?

Hi Kelsey,

Very good question. (I especially like the quote from my signature... ) In retrospect, I think I should have included this in the article. Thanks for bringing it up!

To answer your question - it's to load the entire XML file into one record into a table, where we can then work with it. The code in reference is:
OPENROWSET(BULK N'C:\SQL\cd_catalog.xml', SINGLE_BLOB)

Notice that we're using the "BULK" and "SINGLE_BLOB" options of OPENROWSET. From the OpenRowset BOL reference in the article, here is what these two options do:
BULK

Uses the BULK rowset provider for OPENROWSET to read data from a file.

SINGLE_BLOB

Returns the contents of data_file as a single-row, single-column rowset of type varbinary(max).

I'm sure that there are other ways to accomplish this (for instance, utilize the sp_OA procedures to start up Scripting.FileSystemObject, open the file, read it line by line, append what you just read into a variable, and when finished reading the file, close it and write the results to a table - and clean up all the objects that you had to create along the way). Currently, I believe that using OpenRowset with the BULK and SINGLE_BLOB options is going to be the easiest, and probably the fastest way.

A discussion of all the various ways to load an external file into a table would lead to an article of it's own - beyond the scope of this "SQL Spackle"! Therefore, I just used the quick/easy way to get the job done.

Wayne
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1041845
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 8:10 AM

SSCertifiable

SQL-DBA (1/3/2011)
I wonder what others are doing about doing an example like this when the XML is from a web service. I run into that more often then XML files. I tend to write C# as a separate application, but are db pros accessing plain old XML web services in the CLR of SQL Server. I would like to see an example like that.

I think that this link will give you an example.

Wayne
Post #1041849
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 8:21 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:16 AM
Thanks for this.
It's now clearer.

Kelsey Thornton
MBCS CITP
Post #1041853
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 8:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, January 10, 2011 10:58 PM
decent article - good reference. but I feel a comment about the bcp utility should be added for those situations that warrant a different approach.
Post #1041873
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 8:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:59 AM
Excellent discussion, Wayne. This is one that I will keep bookmarked.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1041875
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 9:16 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 6:41 AM
I'm getting an the following error when I try to run the OPENROWSET function:

DECLARE @CD TABLE (XMLData XML);
INSERT INTO @CD
SELECT *
FROM OPENROWSET(BULK N'C:\SQL\cd_catalog.xml', SINGLE_BlOB)

Msg 491, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
A correlation name must be specified for the bulk rowset in the from clause.

Is there something in the code beyond SINGLE_BLOB) ?
Thanks
G. Daniels
Post #1041901
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse