Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Resume font ? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:59 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:24 AM
Hi all,

Here I want to ask a question about font for resume. What font is more impressive? I always used Time New Roman, but recently saw another guy's resume which had Arial. What fonts are you using and why ?

Thanks
Post #1038483
Posted Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:09 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:20 PM
These days the resume/CV is mostly being passed around as softcopy, so I use Arial as the lowest common denominator to preserve formatting.

Post #1038492
Posted Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:29 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:44 AM
I should run this question past my wife, who has a graphic design background, and often drives me nuts with her explanations about fonts! (Of course, I can fire back with stuff about SQL and OOP! )

Anyway . . . on my last resume, I used Garamond. I figured that everyone and their brother used Times New Roman. I thought Garamond looked more elegant.

But, that's just me.
Post #1038531
Posted Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:03 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:26 AM
Anything apart from Comic Sans!

Unless you're applying for a job as a clown.
Post #1038704
Posted Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:26 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:20 PM
Believe it or not, a company I used to work for used Comic Sans as their official document template font...

Sorry for the topic hijack :)
Post #1038959
Posted Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:24 PM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:26 AM
Seriously, I'm with the Arial brigade. It's clear, crisp and universal. Don't use any background colours or anything else that may distract from what you're trying to say.
Post #1038980
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:06 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
I also am in the Arial Brigade. It is simple to read without straining my tired old eyes.

IMHO - In addition to the font selection - also ensure that the font size is also readable. Resumes with the font to small go quickly into the disregard pile. If you want to highlight or bring out points - use bullets, bold, or italics instead of switching to another font.

Verdana is my font of choice, but for a resume - I would stick with Arial.

Joe
Post #1040917
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:17 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
I've got a background in typesetting, and there are studies on serif vs sansserif fonts. Times variations are easier to read and look "more formal" per the studies, than Arial/Helvetica variations.

So, I have to vote for Wingdings ....

But seriously, I use Times New Roman because of what I studied during my typesetting years. My resume is done up as a marketing piece, using scientific studies on marketing, and it got me six interviews in one week, and every one of those ended up with an offer. Based on that, I have to say the resume worked. Take that for what it's worth.

I definitely wouldn't attribute all of that to the font. It's a minor piece of the puzzle. But it is a piece of it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1040922
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:03 AM

SSCrazy

GSquared (12/30/2010)
I've got a background in typesetting, and there are studies on serif vs sansserif fonts. Times variations are easier to read and look "more formal" per the studies, than Arial/Helvetica variations.

So, I have to vote for Wingdings ....

But seriously, I use Times New Roman because of what I studied during my typesetting years. My resume is done up as a marketing piece, using scientific studies on marketing, and it got me six interviews in one week, and every one of those ended up with an offer. Based on that, I have to say the resume worked. Take that for what it's worth.

I definitely wouldn't attribute all of that to the font. It's a minor piece of the puzzle. But it is a piece of it.

So the question of the day is to Sans or Not To Sans.

I have also read them studies back in the college days of years past but I will stick with my Arial as it is easier on MY eyes.

Joe
Post #1040966
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:10 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Personally I prefer times when I am reviewing resumes or when I am writing my own resume.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1040971
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse