Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

mixed_extent_page_count Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:45 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:54 PM
Thanks for teh question. It made me look in BoL, which some say is cheating (and I say is learning).

Tom
Post #1036251
Posted Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:50 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 12:12 AM
I had to do the same (look i BOL), but I don't consider that cheating. "Cheating" in my opinion is when you copy/paste/run the T-SQL and post the answer without utilizing a single neuron in the central nervous system.
Post #1036350
Posted Saturday, December 18, 2010 6:30 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 9:31 AM
SanDroid (12/14/2010)
Nils Gustav Stråbø (12/14/2010)
vk-kirov (12/14/2010)
The bad news is that, according to BOL, "this view is applicable only to the tempdb database".
I would not expect much change in SGAM pages in a normal database. Table creation rates should be low compared to tempdb, so frequent changes in SGAM page allocation is unusual.

I believe this is more important to monitor when you are using Mirroing or Publishing a VLDB.
Also it may be usefull you execute large querries (5K+ rows) that use TEMP tables or Table Parameters that have to create objects to store data in TEMPdB.

No, Nils is quite correct.

I have no idea why you think mirroring, or publishing a large database would be a prime factor in tempdb SGAM contention.
Where does your magic figure of 5K+ rows come from, or are you just guessing?

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1036875
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse