Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

How Do You Work When You are Not at Work? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:48 AM
Hi all

In our company we take turns to be on support, we generally have 3 x support phones, one on each network, and we get notified via sms depending on what is down. We do check each system where applicable by using the phones ussd short cuts, for some of our applications and in general, it is just to monitor the system. Each system will restart itself in the event of a connectio issue and sometimes we need to restart a specific tasks/job via dial up connection using VPN.

The support rota works nice as you end up learning more about everyone else’s jobs as well, and you do not have to be on duty 24/7, only once every other week. And in general you could plan ahead when going away or so.

Groete
Pierré

Post #1033754
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 6:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:01 AM
Most of the databases I administer run well without much intervention. Typically when there is an issue I am called on my cell and I RDP via a VPN portal into either my desktop PC or directly to the SQL server and resolve the issue.
Post #1033762
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 8:04 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 9:03 AM
The only time I was called on, I had to spend 2 hours on my cell phone.
Post #1033823
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 8:11 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:17 AM
Usually someone calls me. Most of the time I can use the remote desktop, very occasionally I have to drive in(14 miles if I'm in town.) If a PC is handy, I prefer that. I can remote access on my android, but it is annoying to scroll around the screen to find things.
Post #1033825
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 10:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:50 PM
For me, email is really the way I hear about things. I have a smartphone, iPad, and multiple machines. On one of those, I'll get a note. It could be a phone call, but that's rare.

From there I might call or forward the notice to someone else, or possibly connect with VPN. I might even call and be remote hands for someone if that's quicker.

Getting work when you aren't at work is a reality, but it doesn't have to mean you work 40+ hours and then respond to things. I would definitely set boundaries and push back to get time back, and better balance in your life.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1033944
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 11:54 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:59 AM
Usually I'll get a system or operator generated email and/or page. I'll connect using desptop or laptop VPN/RDP connection to my work desktop or directly to server. Have talked somebody through something once or twice. Have never had to drive into office to take care of an issue. Have reinstalled SQL Server a couple of time remotely with no problems.

Mike

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice ...Bill Cosby
Post #1034010
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 12:24 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:20 AM
In case you might like an free iPad to help remotely monitor your SQL Servers, 30 iPads are being given away by three DBAs, along with 30 free licenses to Red Gate's SQL Monitor. Check out these links:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Editorial/71830/
http://scarydba.com/
http://www.brentozar.com/

Hurry to enter to win one of these iPads, as the contest ends this Friday. I wish I could enter the contest, but I am not eligible.

Brad M. McGehee
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Director of DBA Education, Red Gate Software
www.bradmcgehee.com
Post #1034023
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 3:28 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:57 PM
when you are away from work and a database-related problem occurs, how are you generally notified?

First notification is via email. Then it progresses to phone calls if the email is not noticed.

Secondly, once you’ve been alerted, how do you generally connect to your servers to see what is going on? Do you use a smartphone, a tablet computer, a netbook/laptop/desktop computer?

I connect via VPN from laptop.

And third, how often can you typically resolve the problem remotely, and how often do you still have to come into the office to fix things?

90% of the time it can be fixed remotely.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1034108
Posted Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:44 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:14 AM
Fortunately I haven't had to respond after hours to a SQL emergency. I have email messages sent when SQL Agent jobs go wrong. Its nice that I don't have to carry a pager or work phone anymore!

If I do need to work after hours I can login from home using a VPN connection to my computer back at work. I can then operate as if I were at my desk.
Post #1058139
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse