Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Coding With Music Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:18 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:57 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Coding With Music

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1029625
Posted Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:27 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 5, 2012 1:41 AM
In corporate environments, for me, I wasn't allowed to enjoy much in the way of headphone music -- I was mostly a firefighter, and scolded when I ignored things...

Now that I'm more independant, I LOVE to rock out to some classic Mellencamp or other 70's/80's rock (please check out John Mellencamp's next to latest release -- "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" It truly effected me and others he had no sway on!).

Anyway, at this point, though I'm closed into a room in my house, I could get a call at any time (other than [mostly] this hour) and have to work with so many other people that music is generally not on the agenda.

However, thanks to this post, and the lateness of the hour, I'm going to rock to LDLF once more. I truly can't get enough of that stuff.

Sounds like a "bot" posting, but I promise you, I'm a long-time lurker/subscriber, that was just inspired to post, as I am once every few months.

To add to this, there are some other great 70's/80's groups/songs out there that really get my blood flowing and get me "creating" code quickly. Mr. Mellencamp is just first on my list.
Post #1029626
Posted Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:50 PM
I prefer not to have music playing when I work, because it tends to get me working at the pace of the music, and not the pace I should be working at.

If it helps other people work better, that's fine with me, but I don't want to listen to their music while I work.

Post #1029634
Posted Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:34 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:04 PM
I like to have background classic rock playing softly as white noise.

Occasionally, I'll use classical or upbeat jazz.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1029647
Posted Thursday, December 2, 2010 11:07 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:02 PM
90% of the time I have to have some sort of structured noise. Occasionally that is distracting and I choose silence to bust out of a problem funk that I may be experiencing.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1029660
Posted Friday, December 3, 2010 1:36 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:45 AM
I prefer silence. I find music distracting.
Post #1029689
Posted Friday, December 3, 2010 2:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:46 AM
I find music really helps blot out the distractions of working in an open plan office, although music with words doesn't work so well. The best music I have found is jazz-based drum and bass - it chivvies you along nicely and seems to occupy the part of the brain that might wander off or be distracted by conversations...
Post #1029694
Posted Friday, December 3, 2010 2:09 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:38 AM
If i need to do some serious coding, I put on the headphones and some nive heavy metal or something similar.
I'm in a open plan office and there can be a lot off noise in the office and therefore I need to have some white noise to cancell the effects
Post #1029696
Posted Friday, December 3, 2010 2:20 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:02 AM
My MP3 player died earlier this week and I'm finding it so hard to concentrate without it! I tend to listen for a burst, then turn it off for a bit, then a burst, throughout the day.
Post #1029698
Posted Friday, December 3, 2010 2:27 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 8:42 AM
If I'm "in the zone" and really concentrating on something I prefer absolute silence. Music just becomes a distraction, and I really don't like the phone ringing or people talking to me when I'm like that. (I even sometimes find the music stings in Minecraft annoying for the same reason ).
Post #1029701
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse