Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Slowly Changing dimensions Design and ETL Help Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:41 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:47 PM
I have 3 tables in OLTP like Account,Contact,Address related with foreignkey relationship and account has account type attribute, address has city,state,country,zip

How I can design a Dimensional data store with this info. The basic business requirement is to find the no of Accounts from a particular zip code , keeping the history of count if the a customer moves from one location to another. I thought account as Fact , Address as slowly changing dimension with type 2, but then if an address changes then I have to add additional row in Account Fact and not a good design.

What is the logic for relationship based on type 2 SCD.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks
Post #1023940
Posted Monday, November 29, 2010 1:12 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
3ilabsbiz (11/20/2010)
I have 3 tables in OLTP like Account,Contact,Address related with foreignkey relationship and account has account type attribute, address has city,state,country,zip

How I can design a Dimensional data store with this info. The basic business requirement is to find the no of Accounts from a particular zip code , keeping the history of count if the a customer moves from one location to another. I thought account as Fact , Address as slowly changing dimension with type 2, but then if an address changes then I have to add additional row in Account Fact and not a good design.

What is the logic for relationship based on type 2 SCD.

You do not add an additional row on the FACT table, you add an additional row on the DIM table.

My favorite design for a Type II SCD DIM table is by adding three columns to the design:
- Version
- ValidFromDate
- ValidUntilDate
In my design version=0 is the current version while older versions go 1,2,3,etc.
For rows with version > 0 ValidFromDate/ValidUntilDate tells you "when" that particular row was current.

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1027579
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:02 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:54 AM
That's quite an interesting approach with your "Version" field Paul. I can imagine that could prove very useful.

You don't mention a "IsRowCurrent" field however, do you derive this at run time when making SCD changes to your Dims?
Post #1040820
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:27 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

aaa-322853 (12/30/2010)
That's quite an interesting approach with your "Version" field Paul. I can imagine that could prove very useful.

You don't mention a "IsRowCurrent" field however, do you derive this at run time when making SCD changes to your Dims?

In my design "Version=0" means "CurrentRow" - hope this clarifies

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1040895
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:44 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:54 AM
Oops my mistake, didn't read your original post correctly!

Typically when you have a type 2 you would identify this by comparing to you current record, in your case Version = 0, and then expire it before inserting the incoming record. How do you identify the next version number when expiring your outgoing record? Do you do anything clever here?
Post #1041039
Posted Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:17 AM

Hall of Fame

aaa-322853 (12/30/2010)
Oops my mistake, didn't read your original post correctly!

Typically when you have a type 2 you would identify this by comparing to you current record, in your case Version = 0, and then expire it before inserting the incoming record. How do you identify the next version number when expiring your outgoing record? Do you do anything clever here?

-- no problem, the same happens to me all the time.

The beauty of SCD is that the number of changes per ETL cycle is a very small fraction of ETL's total volume so, solution doesn't have to be fantastic, just functional.

When a SCD change happens I read version=0; insert it as version=max(version)+1 including ToTimeStamp; then apply change to version=0 including FromTimeStamp.

Thank you for asking.

Post #1041069
Posted Wednesday, January 05, 2011 5:27 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, June 24, 2013 10:27 AM
I use a current record column which I call is_current. 1 = TRUE, 0 = FALSE. If I wanted to see the order in which that particular records' SCD2 value changed (for example if the record was a contacts address and I wanted to see the order in which they moved from state to state to state), I could simply sort by Start_Date (effective date).
Post #1043428
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse