Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

To switch or not to switch Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:55 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:51 PM
Trick or tricky question? The incorrect got me as it did others. I should have had my coffee first.
Post #1019307
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:08 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 8:24 AM
Good question, I definitely had to do some research.
Post #1019314
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:18 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 AM
Hugo Kornelis (11/11/2010)
2. The rule "Partitions can be on any column" is ambiguous. I was sure I had the rest right, but felt like taking a 50% gamble with this one - did the question author want this to be interpreted as "There are restrictions on the type of partitioning column you choose in both tables", or as "There are no restrictions no the type of partitioning column chosen, except that it has to be the same in both".

This also got me.
Once again I had to guess and use my ESP to answer the QOTD.
It was very difficult to understand that the author was asking if you could create a partion on column a in source table to column b in target table. Instead of meaning are there any limitations on the columns that can be used to create the partition.

I gift the questions No stars for trying to trick people with ambiguous answers and a weirdly positioned incorrect statement.
Questions like these on the MS certification exams are what inspire people to buy study exams.
Post #1019323
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:08 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:22 PM
I felt that the "Partitions can be on any column" choice was ambiguous too and knew that I had a 50-50 chance of missing it based on that answer alone. I'm glad this one was only worth one point.

On the upside, I did learn about a new feature so that is good!
Post #1019392
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:09 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 8:33 AM
A little ambiguity around Partitions can be on any column part aside, this was a very good question, thank you Stewart. Interestingly, we had a question on ASK side asking about guidelines and considerations for deleting in excess of a billion records from existing table, and the answer by Scot Hauder suggested using switch, and included a thoroughly commented sample. I am not sure wherer OP opted to use Scot's solution or not, but the answer clearly demonstrated a practical application of the technique in real life scenario, saving someone from quite a lot of hustle.

Oleg
Post #1019394
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:04 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 3:42 AM
read the specification, read the specification:)
Post #1019433
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:03 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 12:05 PM
So what would be an example of a column that could not be partitioned? My coin toss also went the wrong way.
Post #1019506
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 12:05 PM
Oleg Netchaev (11/11/2010)
A little ambiguity around Partitions can be on any column part aside, this was a very good question, thank you Stewart. Interestingly, we had a question on ASK side asking about guidelines and considerations for deleting in excess of a billion records from existing table, and the answer by Scot Hauder suggested using switch, and included a thoroughly commented sample. I am not sure wherer OP opted to use Scot's solution or not, but the answer clearly demonstrated a practical application of the technique in real life scenario, saving someone from quite a lot of hustle.

Oleg

Thanks for the link. That is a very useful technique.
Post #1019513
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:32 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:00 PM
Thanks for the question. I missed one of the three, so I should get 66% of a point. ;)
Post #1019659
Posted Friday, November 12, 2010 8:00 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, December 16, 2013 7:19 AM
1. The negation in the question is a needless extra complication. It would have been better to ask which of the listed rules are correct. (Even after realizing that the question asked for incorrect, I still found myself ticking the correct ones - human psychology works like that).

Me too! I read the "incorrect" then had to take a call as I was about to answer. After the call I checked off the "correct" answers and hit the button.
Post #1019946
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse