Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

To switch or not to switch Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:10 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:55 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item To switch or not to switch

Post #1019057
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:45 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 6:04 AM
Thnaks for the Question.

I have learned something new today

may be this link is also usefull:

http://sqlserverpedia.com/wiki/Switching_Partitions_-_Prerequisites
Post #1019064
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:59 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 8:22 AM
Looking at the percentage of incorrect results, and the percentages per answer, I wonder if people missed the "in" in "incorrect" in the question.
Post #1019138
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:26 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:52 AM
Mmmm...
Correct answer says 'Source and target tables do NOT have to share the same filegroup'. Explanation says they do....

Have I missed something?
Post #1019165
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:29 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:52 AM
Yep. I missed something - as th eprviuous poster said I was supposed to be selecting the incorrect answers.

Doh!
Post #1019170
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:29 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:28 AM
Mighty (11/11/2010)
Looking at the percentage of incorrect results, and the percentages per answer, I wonder if people missed the "in" in "incorrect" in the question.

Yep, that's what happened to me! Oh FFS!! Must take more time to read the question properly!

Post #1019171
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:49 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:33 PM
A good question, that made me think twice.

Two minor issues though.

1. The negation in the question is a needless extra complication. It would have been better to ask which of the listed rules are correct. (Even after realizing that the question asked for incorrect, I still found myself ticking the correct ones - human psychology works like that).

2. The rule "Partitions can be on any column" is ambiguous. I was sure I had the rest right, but felt like taking a 50% gamble with this one - did the question author want this to be interpreted as "There are restrictions on the type of partitioning column you choose in both tables", or as "There are no restrictions no the type of partitioning column chosen, except that it has to be the same in both".

The text written by Microsoft in the referenced Books Online article is also a bit strange. First, it says: "The tables must have the same columns with the same names and the same data type, length, collation, precision, scale, nullability". And then it says: "Nullability of the partitioning columns must match". Yeah, I know. That was already implied by the requirement that nullability of ALL columns must match

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1019187
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:33 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 8:00 AM
Ambiguous answers to the question I think. The explanations make sense but the way the answers are worded leave a lot to be desired. I think the spread of answers amongst the community shows that the question could have been directed somewhat better.
Post #1019207
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:41 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:13 PM
Mighty (11/11/2010)

lmao.. +1 here
Post #1019242
Posted Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:04 AM
Hall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, May 9, 2014 12:47 AM
"Partitions can be on any column" – this was way too ambiguous... I thought this option was about the column with the same name in both tables (because of the singular "column", not plural "columns").
Post #1019265
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse