Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Creating Dynamic Outputs in SSIS to an SQL Database Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:41 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:57 AM
images are hosted on flickr - but they should be fine.

Post #1018553
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:27 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:12 PM
The images are also not showing up for me, either. When I hover, it says 'screenshot' or 'query extract', but a lot of blank spaces in this article.
Post #1018598
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:46 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:57 AM
Here is a PDF copy of the article with images for those that can't see them. ( I can only guess it's because you can't access the flickr server they are on)

Post Attachments 
Creating Dynamic Outputs in SSIS to an SQL Database.pdf (12 views, 786.78 KB)
Post #1018619
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:51 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:56 AM
fszendzielarz (11/10/2010)
Oh yes. I forgot about that.

Doesn't it seem ridiculous that functionality that is already implemented is disabled for those who cannot pay for it? The irony is that MS aim to support SME and break into this sphere, so why support enterprises by denying features to smaller organisations?

Thats how software pricing works for almost every software company out there.
You want more features, then you have to pay.

SME's typically have much smaller data sets, infact even in some of the large multi national organisations I've worked for none of the enterprise features they paid for were used, even with many millions of rows, a non partitioned table structure can be made to behave.

Where there is a need for some enterprise features, SME's then just have to evaluate the cost benefit. Is paying for the extra features in Enterprise edition cheaper or more expensive than paying someone to code round the issue?
Post #1018627
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:06 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:12 PM
Now I can see them - I'm further enlightened now. Thanks.
Post #1018643
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:18 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:04 PM
Samuel Vella (11/10/2010)
fszendzielarz (11/10/2010)
Oh yes. I forgot about that.

Doesn't it seem ridiculous that functionality that is already implemented is disabled for those who cannot pay for it? The irony is that MS aim to support SME and break into this sphere, so why support enterprises by denying features to smaller organisations?

Thats how software pricing works for almost every software company out there.

Not just software. Ever look at the electronic board for a low-end product from a company which offers a higher-end product? 9 times out of 10 it's the same board with a different firmware and some (usually quite inexpensive) key components not included. Think of all the different versions of the same model car; the only difference (besides cost) is features. How about cable/satellite television? All of the channels are being transmitted regardless of which ones you paid for, so the receiver has to "disable" (i.e, not decode) the ones you haven't paid for.

Post #1018652
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:40 PM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Today @ 1:19 PM
Very cool exercise. I needed to revise the create table T-SQL to the code below in order for it to work for me.

-- Check if destination table already exists, If it does not, execute the create table statement
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects WHERE [object_id] = OBJECT_ID(@TableName) AND type in (N'U'))
begin
EXEC (@TableCreateCmd)
end

I was using SQL 2005.

Thanks!

bigcraiginjax
Post #1018967
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:42 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:50 PM
Some additional steps: some code to also have a table of unknown records , in case there's a typo, id10t error or addition to the types of records... otherwise you will skip rows.

I've done the same thing previously but handcrafted the tables upon various output results. with replacement tables cycling through table.1 - table.x to so have record of the previous events for review or edit.

Post #1018968
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:08 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:59 AM
Some claim the idea of segmented pricing for software and similar products is debunked (eg: Joel Spolsky). Some say that ultimately it's he who simply offers the lowest price that should win. I wonder....
Post #1018986
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:34 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 5:37 PM
Love the detailed instructions. Worked for me "out of the box". Thank you!

Post #1019060
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse