Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Merge error handling Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:33 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:51 AM
This is good stuff... exactly what I need to troubleshoot a strange unique key violation with a MERGE.

Question though- why is the IDENTITY column of the type an INT, while the @single_update_id param to the proc is a BIGINT? I am guess the two datatypes should match, depending on the size needed for the particular application.

Thanks!
Post #1015807
Posted Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Today @ 6:52 AM
Matthew-399425 (11/4/2010)

Question though- why is the IDENTITY column of the type an INT, while the @single_update_id param to the proc is a BIGINT? I am guess the two datatypes should match, depending on the size needed for the particular application.

You're right, the datatypes should match and sizing depends on the application.
Post #1015814
Posted Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Today @ 6:52 AM
Something else I recently learned that I left out of the article for clarity is about duplicate keys in the source data.

MERGE gets broken horribly if there are duplicate alternate keys in the <table_source> i.e. rows with the same customer_id in the @CustomerUpdates UDDT.

A validation step to detect / remove any duplicates before the merge statement can help catch otherwise hard to detect errors.

HTH
Post #1015828
Posted Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:54 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:21 AM
This is a great post and a great demo of recursion capabilities in T-SQL/SPs. My current issue is the duplicate key/ID in the source data. What I am trying to do is get the recursive call to just skip to the next highest ID, but the MERGE OUTPUT apparently does not contain anything at all if an error occurs so I can't get the MAX(ID) from the output. In addition, I would rather not have to keep creating UDDTs and passing TVPs for every MERGE I need to do.

*sigh* It seems like another bright idea that Microsoft didn't implement very well (see postings online about duplicate key handling and other features of other RDBMSes).

I need single row error handling and logging, so I am going back to trusty cursors that loop through the IDs and then do a MERGE on each record processed. FYI, cursors perform great when the cursor declare only processes indexed IDs. Then you do the work retrieving other values inside the cursor loop.
Post #1018002
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse