Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Database Diagram printing problems Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:31 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:43 PM
Jeff,

Thank you for your post, it works perfectly. Now that I understand that it is trying to center the diagram I can control what it is doing. I moved some of the entities around on my diagram so that there was roughly the same whitespace in the top margin as in the bottom margin (in the bottom pages) and this took care of the problem. Going forward, I'll be able to follow this pattern and prevent this annoyance from cropping up in the future. Thank you very much for pointing this out!

I've attached a screen shot of the entities moved around so that things are aligned in such a way that printing doesn't mess up my diagram.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Grant

Post Attachments 
solved.jpg (12 views, 123.81 KB)
Post #1183513
Posted Friday, September 30, 2011 4:58 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:51 PM
You bet, Grant. Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1183984
Posted Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:19 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:36 PM
refer this and all your problems would be taken care of.

http://secretgeek.net/sql_ent_page.asp
Post #1262367
Posted Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thanks Ashraf for your post. I looked at it and while it is helpful in its suggestion to turn on the "view page breaks" feature of SQL Enterprise Mgr / SQL Management Studio Diagrams, it doesn't address what my problem was.

On page 1 of the thread is where I placed my original question.

To summarize, the problem wasn't with viewing the page breaks. I had this turned on just fine and had aligned my tables precisely within the page break boundaries. See this BEFORE screen capture to see how the diagram looked: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Attachment9866.aspx.

When attempting to PRINT this diagram though, all of the tables would shift so that they were no longer lined up the way I had placed them in the diagram. Here is what would happen as soon as I chose to PRINT the diagram: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Attachment9867.aspx

You will notice, in the AFTER screen shot that all of the entities in the diagram have shifted down about 1/2 of a page so that they are now crossing the page break boundaries.

Jeff Moden responded to my question shortly after posting to tell me to that I needed to place one of my entities closer to the bottom edge -- as SQL Management Studio was (un-helpfully) trying to center my diagram before printing. By moving some of the entities so that they were NEAR the top boundary AND NEAR the bottom page break boundry -- the diagram would then print properly.

Post #1262378
Posted Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:41 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:57 AM
This was my experience as well. I have battled with this printing issue for so long I have more or less given up on trying to print an ER diagram from SSMS. I've arranged my tables whilst showing the page breaks, but as previously stated, once you clicked "Print" all of your timely work was tossed out because SSMS thought it could do a better job.

Kurt Zimmerman

Kurt W. Zimmerman
SR DBA
Lefrak Organization
New York, NY

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kurtwzimmerman
Post #1262387
Posted Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Hey Kurt -- I was definitely in the same boat, actually exporting to Visio when I needed to print. I still find exporting to be pretty important to do, as I often lose the most current version of the diagram through backup/restores when going from DEV to STAGING to PRODUCTION and the other way sometimes too.

Have you tried the suggestion to place an entity near the top and bottom (and possibly sides) of the page boundaries (near the page break lines). This really cleared up the printing issue I was having entirely.
Post #1262401
Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 9:56 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 1:48 AM
Surprised this is the first time I have seen this question because I have always had this problem in SQL Server even from earlier releases. It was never fixed by MS and I never found a "real" solution although I found a work-around.

Put a tiny x in the lower right corner of every diagram page. That forces the print mechanism to think the diagram takes up the entire page and it doesn't try to format the page for you.
Post #1403402
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 11:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:39 PM
Doing "Copy Diagram to Clipboard" and pasting into Word used to work for me in MS Word 2007. However, it does not appear to work with Word 2010. I just get an outline of a table, but the columns are not visible. Any suggestions on how to copy a diagram into Word 2010 would be appreaciated.
Post #1435062
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 3:09 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:39 PM
HH-489628 (3/25/2013)
Doing "Copy Diagram to Clipboard" and pasting into Word used to work for me in MS Word 2007. However, it does not appear to work with Word 2010. I just get an outline of a table, but the columns are not visible. Any suggestions on how to copy a diagram into Word 2010 would be appreciated.
Actually, it's not a problem with Word 2010. After more testing, the culprit appears to be Remote Desktop. The pasting does not work only if I copy the diagram in a remote desktop window and try to copy it in a Word that's running on my local box. The work-around is to run MS Word on the box where SSMS is running.
Post #1435163
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse