Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Color coding Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:14 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:23 AM
I know that this is an old thread, but I think it's the best place...

I've just been caught out by this - luckily nothing major, but still a production server issue.

I had my QA server set to blue and production set to red in my Registered Servers list, but, for this little-used server, I had got a different setting under File/Connect Object Explorer/Options and this is the colour that seems to take priority when using the 'Connect' button in Object Explorer.

I then managed to execute some QA code on production and stuff up an important SQL Agent job, which we rapidly unstuffed

Does anyone know where these settings are held? I'd like to remove anything that might override what I have set up under Registered Servers.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1237362
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:31 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:54 PM
Phil take a look at Wayne's post on page 1 of this thread. http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1004880-2739-1.aspx He explains how the color can be set from two locations depending on how you connect. Sounds like you were a victim of using the Object Explorer to connect. Seems like MS should fix that.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1237370
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:05 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:23 AM
Hi Sean and thanks for the response.

My point is that using Object Explorer to connect works as you would expect (with colour coding from Registered Servers) unless that colour coding has been overridden, as mentioned in my earlier post.

So my thinking was that all would be well if I could remove all of the Object Explorer colour settings somehow. I could of course do this manually, but would rather just excise a few Registry keys (if that is where the settings reside) to do the job properly.

Thanks
Phil

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1237390
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:06 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:54 PM
Ahh I see where you are going. I wish I knew where that info was stored. You are probably correct that it is in the registry somewhere...

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1237425
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse