Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Color coding Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:38 PM
Hugo Kornelis (10/15/2010)

I seem to have built a reputation for myself...
I had this one wrong as well. Partially because I don't work with SQL Server 2008 yet (I do have it installed on a laptop, fopr "play" purposes), and partly because I misread the question.

The answer is hidden in the explanation. You can configure different colors for the "query window" (which I knew - that's why I selected "true"), but you cannot configure the colors for "the status bar in SSMS".
This last status bar obviously refers to another status bar than that of the query window. I don't know which status bar, though, and I can't check if it's true. But even if it is, the correct answer should have been "it depends" - since the query window sits within SSMS, you can obviously configure colors for some status bars in SSMS.

Could the author of this question not be referring to the bar at the bottom of the SSMS window that seems to always say "Ready" when I'm in SSMS 2008? Similar to the "status bar" of an explorer window. The color or look of that bar is only changed by the Windows display properties appearance settings. [see attachment]
I believe Microsoft has started re-using terms for different applications. If the "status bar" references the bar at the bottom of a query window or Object explorer, then what is the bar at the very bottom of SSSM called now?

Shawn Melton
PS C:\>(Find-Me).TwitterURL
@wsmelton
PS C:\>(Find-Me).BlogURL
meltondba.wordpress.com

Post Attachments 
example.jpg (3 views, 48.16 KB)
Post #1005420
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 12:12 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
I have awarded back all points and edited the question to include the answer for future people.

Not a great question, and my apologies.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1005454
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:05 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:23 PM
William Vach (10/15/2010)
Thanks for the information. I was not aware that you could also set the query window color through the connection dialogue box. I did discover a quirk when using that method. It looks like the color is associated with the instance entry in the drop down. If you are connected to an instance and then change to another instance that you manually key in, the status bar will retain the color of the instance that you were originally connected to and also change the color of the manually keyed in instance when you subsequently select it from the drop down.

This QOD sure brought out a lot of discussion about a little known but useful feathre of SSMS.

Yes, it is associated with the instance. It works this way for both connections set up in your registered servers, and for when changing connections or selecting "Connect" in the object explorer.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1005600
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:06 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:23 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/15/2010)
I have awarded back all points and edited the question to include the answer for future people.

I don't think I've ever seen any other question where the editor has put what the answer is in the question before...

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1005601
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:41 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
WayneS (10/15/2010)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/15/2010)

I don't think I've ever seen any other question where the editor has put what the answer is in the question before...

I have a few times in the past when I couldn't come up with a good way to reword the question

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1005612
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 4:47 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
Intriguing question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1005633
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 10:45 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:00 PM
Interesting question, but even better discussion. Thanks all!
Post #1005659
Posted Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:22 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:53 AM
I would have thought that Ans is true because we can specify color in connection properties
Post #1006748
Posted Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:25 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:36 AM
DhruvShah (10/19/2010)
I would have thought that Ans is true because we can specify color in connection properties

Well, if you read the editor's comments at the question and this thread, you'll know the answer.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1006753
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010 6:29 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:25 AM
Spooky - I have also decided to use a horrible pink for production!
Post #1009124
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse